Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Smelt extra ores into plates, and make useful intermediate products. A key part of the Bob's mods suite.

Content
a month ago
0.13 - 1.1
Manufacturing

g Broke steel production?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

The latest update seems to have broken steel production for the Electric Steel Furnace in "Electric Furnaces" (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Electric%20Furnaces/discussion/5ce1baccd24548000ba064af), restricting it to the Chemical Furnace family only. Was this intended? We use Electric Furnaces to get away from using coal for steel early, and that was a very deliberate decision for our server. We updated a couple mods today and while I could be mistaken, it appears that "Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates" has overridden the other mod's steel recipe in the machine it adds. This seems like an undesirable behavior.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

A few versions ago I made a change to the steel recipe to require Oxygen as well as iron.
I then made the replacement even more harsh as a result of some issues with other mods, causing the game to fail to load.

If you don't like the recipe containing oxygen (This is what forces it to chemical furnace), you can turn it off in the game options. From the main menu, go to settings, mod settings, startup tab, browse down to the Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates section, and turn off the "New Steel" option, it's on by default.

I'm not sure the best way to do that on a server.

EDIT: Actually, there is a bug in the latest version, I'll fix it at some point, you'll also need to turn off "Cheaper Steel" option to allow it to be craftable in the furnace as normal.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Ah, I see, thank you! We did run the server before with your usual version requiring oxygen, but I got too many complaints. My question isn't about that, though I understand how you might think I might not have understood something about the configuration. I'm only referring to recipes normally allowed when oxygen use is already disabled.

Thanks for giving us all the options, and I'll try disabling "Cheaper Steel" on my next restart. KUTGW

New response