Bob's Metals, Chemicals and Intermediates

Smelt extra ores into plates, and make useful intermediate products. A key part of the Bob's mods suite.

Content
a month ago
0.13 - 1.1
Manufacturing

g Insane Uphill Slog

7 years ago

This, plates, electronics, modules, and the one affecting oil introduce an absolutely absurd number of sub-components with no documentation or even vague indication of what you need. The number of buildings necessary just to build the blue vanilla factory is quintupled. Advancing beyond that point becomes exponentially complex the further you go, with a mind boggling series of chemical plants producing a similarly confusing chain of materials that practically require a PhD in chemistry to keep track of.
While I wanted some added complexity, I didn't want to feel like I was back in college taking the final exam for a class I never bothered to attend. I cannot endorse using the full Bob's set unless you're either the kind of person that gets turned on by spreadsheets or you hate yourself.

7 years ago

Appended: There's no advancement curve with new materials.
Found bauxite? Use the sodium hydroxide byproduct of your plastic making to make alumina and then make aluminum plates! Now you have aluminum! Hey, aluminum is used to make module casings, let's make th--oh. Module contacts require gold.

This is a constant. There are very, very few instances where FINALLY accessing some new material actually leads to making something new. It just leads to "oh dammit, I need XXX too?!"
And then you go get XXX. And then you discover that the next component required to make the thing you've had researched for three days is YYY, which requires ZZZ combined with NNN, and to get NNN you have to find Rare Resource PPP which takes another twelve steps of refinement.

I sure do have a lot of neat stuff researched. Too bad I can't make even a quarter of it because everything is so interdependent that you have to find literally EVERYTHING just to make one module. I keep trying VERY HARD to give this a chance, but every single milestone of conquering a new resource process becomes a wet fart when I discover that, no, I still can't make anything.

7 years ago

This here thread/post just made me not get this mod, the game is tedious enough as it is. no need to add more tedious work.

New response