Ammo Loader+

More than just a turret loader. Auto load everything from turrets to artillery wagons to furnaces and even the player themselves. Auto upgrade ammo and fuel without tedious manual replacement. Infinite range and compatible with Factorissimo2.

Content
16 days ago
0.14 - 1.1
Logistics

i An idea about the cartridges ...

3 years ago

I read in the last post that one or the other idea has already been raised.
So I only come up with my last idea:

I think the cartridge idea is very good. I like it!
Just like I like the whole mod.
But only a hardcore mode, where you get only one cartridge for two magazines, not really nice ...
I imagine real magazines like weapons and ammunition in real life. Cassettes, full of bullets. Just ammunition ...
I would like a recipe by making a cartridge out of 10 magazines. So a full ammunition cassette.
The turret would then have 10 cartridges loaded like standard. But has the ammunition of 100 magazines. Do you understand my idea?
It would make the cartridges more meaningful ...

And what I read in the other post ...
Yes, the reach of infinity, and that without endgame research, I also think ... well, illogical and unbalanced.
I set the range to 6 for me. I want to use the mod instead of chests and Inserter. So in front of a few turrets an Ammo loader. ... and not one for the whole base ... No.

As I said. I like your mod. It's really good. And the previous speaker of the other post has already mentioned some suggestions for improvement that give your mod more balance.

Maybe you could do something with my idea ... I would be happy about usable cartridges ...

One last thing ...:

Your Ammo Loader are made with burning inserter.
But the Ammo Loader doesn't need fuel. No energy either ...
If your mod can be explored in the early game, maybe some fuel into it ...? After all, it is only used when the Ammo Loader is working ...
Later research could provide the Ammo Loader with an energy update. Then he needs electricity.
Maybe then he just needs a kind of update slot. And the energy update unlocks a kind of transformer, which is then plugged into the update slot so that it can work with energy ...
Or, a T2 Ammo Loader that needs energy. Works faster, more efficiently and maintenance-free.
And then Lategame even with a logistics system. So the drones fill it up.

Greetings
Illyria

3 years ago

Hi Illyria! Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestion! These sorts of posts are my favorite to read, because they always have valuable insight on the real world use of my mod (since I don't get to play very much anymore).

Sorry for the delay in replying, they've got me working a ton of hours lately. As for your suggestions...

1.) Cartridges as condensed ammunition repositories to make loading more efficient, rather than more difficult.

A.) This is an excellent idea! I recall there is another mod that does this exclusively, but having it as a feature in my mod does make a ton of sense. It would be another optional logistics puzzle the player could implement as they acquired more expendable resources (probably mid game and later). If I did this, I would integrate cartridges into the main body of the mod and eliminate the "hard mode" entirely.

Cartridges were originally intended as a way to balance the utility of the loader chests against vanilla logistic requirements. I believe they pretty well fail in that regard, as they provide no logistic puzzle and only increase resource usage. Something like this could make use of the whole cartridge system in a much more interesting way.

2.) Loader Chests using fuel/energy.
A.) This is a great idea for mod balance! Actually, this is something I've already got in development. I toyed with this idea in a separate branch of the mod, and I was pleased with the results in play testing. Now, I am just trying to figure out the best system to use (electric, fuel, or a separate ammo the chests would use) that would provide good balance. I plan to implement and release this along with the range extender idea that another user proposed to me. Development is taking longer than I'd like due to my increased hours at work, but look for this in the near future!

As always, thanks for using my mod and posting your suggestions. It really does help me in mod development, not to mention that I simply love to hear from people who use the mod. If you have any other suggestions, don't hesitate to post them!

3 years ago

Hello Silentcrim.

I understand that with the long working hours. It is no different with me.
But I'm happy that you like my ideas!
And at first I thought you were declaring me crazy ... : D
In fact, Factorio lacks a good turret filling system. I don't like laying kilometer-long conveyor belts along the walls ...
If I then enlarge my base, I have to tear down and rebuild all conveyor belts along the wall. I find that annoying ...
I originally built a chest with ammunition between two turrets and two inserters on it that fill the turrets. I set your Ammo-loader to range 6 and then built many turrets within its range. Particularly practical on sections where the biters attack particularly hard. Now I'm about to unlock the logistics drones. And when the turrets are automatically supplied, that's great!

I think it would be great if you could implement some of my suggestions. It would complement your mod!
And I like realism in games.
The range extender idea of ​​the other user also fits well if you can expand it through research.
You could also integrate your mod into the endless research.
Similar to the endless research for turret damage ...
A certain range can still be researched with the red, green, blue, gray, purple and yellow research packages.
But if you want infinite reach, you can use infinite research.

If another player does not like this type, he could deactivate the research for the endless range in the options ...
The same applies to the function with energy or fuel.
Or with the cartridges.
Unfortunately, I also know a player who wants it to be "as simple as possible" and doesn't value realistic mod behavior ... : /
So not related to your mod now. But generally mods.

So ... that's it. I don't have any more ideas right now. :)

New response