Carbon

by ElAdamo

Hydrocarbons go in, hydrocarbons come out. You can't explain that.

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.0
Fluids

g [Rebalanced] An awful lot of Sulfur

4 years ago

I'm finding that with advanced gas processing there is a massive abundance of Sulfur getting generated by the refineries and it's bottlenecking everything. I'm used to setting up separate chemical plants for Sulfur made from Petroleum and it seems like that's almost not needed anymore, was this intended to replace the vanilla production chain or simplify it?

As a workaround I had to set up another line of refineries with just basic gas processing in order to make enough Methane to satisfy the rest of the factory because otherwise there's just a pile of Sulfur backing up the advanced gas refineries. There's only a net loss of 10 Natural Gas with that recipe and it just feels easier to work with than the advanced one.

One other unrelated question, is Syngas intended to do anything or is it just a byproduct that other mods can hook into for dependencies?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Thanks for the feedback. This is because I use the real percentage of sulfur that we pull from methane processing in modern industry. It's far too much, just like that in real life we have mountains of elemental sulfur building up at refineries. Couple ways to solve this. Tell me what you think.

I have sulfur set to be burnable for energy with a low energy rate and very high pollution rate in my "Calibration" mod. I could:
(1) Release the calibration mod, which has burnable sulfur and just a handful of other fixes to mods, like moving the vent stack and flare stack to the fluid-handling tech, and stretching the uranium underground belts to be a properly-long length.
(2) Move the burnable sulfur to the carbon mod (it's not really a carbon change, you know? But I'm open to it.)
(3) reduce the amount of sulfur to something that is less realistic but more balanced in terms of gameplay.

I certainly feel that this source of sulfur could replace the main source of sulfur in the game. After all, that's what happened in real life. It's not that it's necessarily more efficient, it's just that it piles up because we're processing so much natural gas.

4 years ago

To your other question: syngas, as it stands, is just for people to hook into. It's an optional product. Syngas is exciting because in reality it can be used to make virtually any hydrocarbon product, so someone who uses a ton of hydrocarbon processing things, like say the drug lab, or anything, can more easily integrate with my mod.

I'll also be using it at some point, for things, too. I have some ideas. There is a lot more to come once I release adamo chemical. I'll also be adding the ability to make syngas from wood and coal, eventually, which would at the very least allow you to burn their fuel in a gas-fired boiler, if convenient. In practice, the Fischer-Tropsch process is using syngas, too, in that it first creates syngas and then forms the other hydrocarbon products, but I think I'll leave the syngas game fluid out of that process, since I consider F-T a fundamental piece of end-game gas and oil processing.

4 years ago

I think part of my problem may be that I'm trying to balance both normal oil processing on top of natural gas processing so they supplement each other instead of focusing on one over the other. I can certainly appreciate the benefits of what is ostensibly more sources of Petroleum in the end, but so far the Sulfur build-up is the only real bump in the road so far.

If you've got plans on adding flare stacks that could be an interesting workaround to dealing with excess oil products. Having Sulfur burnable or used for other purposes I think would be a cool extension of this mod as well. As it stands, Sulfur is basically for Acid, Explosives, and Science Packs... That's about it. I've even got Sulfur being used for incendiary ammo from another mod and that's all backed up too.

4 years ago

Sulfur burning will be added in the next update. I think, for the moment, I won't reduce the sulfur output, unless you or others continue to report it's too much. If you start relying heavily on the sulfur from AGP to make blue chips and it's still backing up, I very much want to hear about that.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Sulfur should be reduced to 1/5 its value. Let me know how that balances for you. I know I said I wasn't going to change it, but I had to increase the incoming resource total for balancing, and I thought this would exaggerate the problem if I didn't change it.

New response