Carbon

by ElAdamo

Hydrocarbons go in, hydrocarbons come out. You can't explain that.

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.0
Fluids

g Very curious

4 years ago

about "my large chemical mod"...

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

So, the deal is that Adamo Chemical is a "chemical engineering" mod in the sense that it focusses around programmatically dividing all chemistry-related recipes into various types of recipes (vaporworks, chemical reactions, mixing, mechanical screening, etc.), and then provides buildings that can handle some or most of these categories. In fact, I used your druglab mod for testing, because you include so many chemicals of various character including a wide variety of inputs and outputs. Once I found it handled druglab chemicals gracefully, I felt I had essentially found the right algorithm. :)

The idea is that this is a framework which will programmatically/gracefully handle the introduction of very complicated chemical production chains, and also simple ones. It does not change the vanilla recipes at all, or any other recipes, but rather makes copies of recipes and puts them into the Chemical Engineering tab, where the Adamo Chemical buildings recognize only the new categories represented in that tab.

It does no changes to carbon, now, since those are in this Adamo Carbon mod. The only chemistry the Adamo Chemical mod itself introduces is as follows. It adds a new system for using and handling stone. Most people don't know but stone/sand is the most important resource in our world's industry, after water. Adamo Chemical allows you to screen stone into calcite, gypsum, fluorite, quartz, and landfill (which I consider to be feldspar). The quartz is needed to make silicon, and integrates with the Simple Silicon mod (one of the few changes to vanilla we use on my server network). Calcite is used to make clinker, which then gets turned into cement with the gypsum, which then gets used in the Mixer building to make concrete (or refined concrete with the addition of quartz). Flourite and gypsum can also be used in a more-advanced clicker recipe to increase efficiency (this is a real-world experimental process, and it works). The fluorite is really there, however, to provide hydrofluoric acid from fluorite and sulfuric acid, which is required by Adamo Nuclear to make uranium hexafluoride for enrichment (hex is implemented in Adamo Nuclear, however, not Adamo Chemical). Without Adamo Nuclear, the hydrofluoric acid can still be used as a more-efficient means of making processing units compared to sulfuric acid, because I added a recipe for processing units with HF that uses half as much fluid as the SA recipe. There are a couple other small recipes... like a recipe to turn steam back into water, which is useful again in my Adamo Nuclear mod, especially when boiling the water out of the spent nuclear fuel raffinate.

The Adamo Chemistry mod also introduces buildings to do chemistry using heat instead of power. It provides a "heat processing" tech with includes a "heat pump" and "reaction kettle", where the reaction kettle also acts as a pipe and a heatpipe, so you can make long lines of reaction kettles to do various things, like make fuel, using just heat. I've limited what each building can do for balance. The reaction kettle, for example, is only capable of doing recipes that have no more than 1 output fluid, but up to 3 input fluids, and 1 solid input/output each. It has other buildings, too, the most advanced being the "pressure reactor" which is really just an advanced assembler that has 4 inputs and 4 outputs, for very complicated recipes (This was useful with some of the druglab chemicals!).

All-in-all it introduces seven buildings: the screener; the still; the reaction kettle; the heat pump; the pressure reactor; the kiln; and the mixer. Each has its own ups and downs. The still, for example, can't handle any solids, but it runs on fuel directly and so is very efficient. The advantages become more pronounced once you've reached using beacons, since most of my buildings are 4x4 or 5x5, so the 4x4 buildings don't get more beacons than a 3x3, but it's easier to move stuff in and out of them with max beaconing, and the 5x5 get more beacons (4 more than a 3x3, I think?). Plus I gave the larger buildings one or two additional module slots compared to their vanilla counterparts.

Now that the framework is in place, my intention is that we can start expanding the chemical production chains with whatever we want, like you already have with druglab. The mod will pick up on any recipes in your druglab's categories, or in the oil-processing and chemistry recipes, but not in crafting, advanced-crafting, etc.

The problem with the mod and why I haven't released it is that I am using unlicensed artwork for the buildings. The rest of the work is mine, but the animation artistry is beyond my ability. I plan to bug the creators to let me use their graphics, and in the cases where they didn't use stupid licenses, I have just credited them in the mod's text.

4 years ago

Also, thanks for your interest!

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I think I need to see this in-game to get a proper sense of what you have in mind. But stone as general resource I do understand! Let me know if I can assist in any way! Also now required in FB.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I would appreciate some kind of change log :)

Edit: Scrap that...

4 years ago

I screwed up version 0.1.0, so you might want to delete it and reinstall it if you already installed that version. Shouldn't happen again.

New response