Wood Gasification

by cappie

Too much wood? No oil on your map? Want petroleum gas, solid fuel or crude oil instead? Then this mod's for you! Wood gasification is the process of turning wood into it's carbohydrate constituents and releasing its chemical potential in the form of petroleum gas and diluted bitumen (which itself can be converted to crude oil) (Languages available: English, Dutch, German, Russian, French, Polish, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese)

Content
1 year, 3 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Fluids

g [Fixed] Failed to parse changelog …

5 years ago

Hi, I noticed you rewrote changelog.txt. Unfortunatey, there still is an error left.

"Failed to parse changelog for mod Wood Gasification: invalid changelog file, error on line 106, missing Version: line."

Just remove the last line, please -- then it should be OK!

BTW: the removal of coal as a gasification product came right in time for me. I already was running into issues with my tree farms stalling production because I couldn't use up coal fast enough. So, thanks for your work! :-)

5 years ago

Thanks!

I also noticed a small error in the technology description, so that gave me enough reason to roll out 2.0.1 :)

5 years ago

Great, it's working now -- and I've even be mentioned in the changelog! :-D

5 years ago

Ofcourse.. credits go where credits are due :)

5 years ago

Hey @Pi-C ... how did you see that the parsing went wrong anyway? are you an admin?

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Admin? I'm root! :-) No, I just play in single player mode, running the game on my own computer (and, of course, as a normal user, not from the root account).

I used to open the game from the menu, or via desktop shortcut, and like most people, I never bothered to look into the game's log files. One day, however, I just happened somehow to start the game from the command line. If you do this, you will see everything that is written to the log file live on the screen. I was installing or updating some mods at the time. If you select one in the game's mod manager, it will try to make the changelog button active. If there is no changelog, the button will stay inactive and no error will be logged; if there is a changelog with an error, an error message will appear on screen and in factorio-current.log. Once you're done installing/updating, the game will restart. I just happened to see a bunch of these messages because I had looked at a number of mods right before Factorio restarted. Had there only been one line, I would probably have missed it -- but several error messages spamming my screen? That was too much not to be noticed, so I got curious and looked into the changelogs to see what might be wrong. :-)

5 years ago

Ah, thanks for the explanation... good one, I'll doublecheck the logs too when doing my updates and testing. Thanks again for your help :)

5 years ago

You're welcome. And you just reminded me that I should mention factorio-current.log in the tutorial, so thank you, too! :-)

4 years ago

New error:

Failed to parse changelog for mod Wood Gasification: invalid changelog file, error on line 38, duplicate Date: line or duplicate Version: line.

Version 2.3.0 is mentioned twice. :-)

4 years ago

Damnit.. sorry.. I could really do with a way of linting my changelogs :)

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

You could use the Changelog Tools. They are still WIP and not quite perfect yet (so checking the changelog in the game before uploading is still required), but they catch a lot already. Moreover, they check the complete file and don't bail out at the first error they find (like the in-game parser does). I recommend the option "--zorro", it outputs an analysis of each line in the file.

Also, if you find something wrong with it (script shows no error but the game doesn't like the file, or script shows an error but the game displays everything alright), it would be great if you'd notify adamius so he can add a test for that. :-)

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Ah, thanks.. I've also found a syntax highlighter (and problem fixer thingy) for Visual Studio Code which handles Factorio Changelogs and Factorio Locale files. I'll look into Changelog Tools, thanks for the tip!

The only thing I couldn't find was a list of recommended changelog sections to use.. it is saying 'Changes' is good, but 'Fixes' or 'Fixed' isn't.. do you happen to know where I can find a complete list?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

The only thing I couldn't find was a list of recommended changelog sections to use.. it is saying 'Changes' is good, but 'Fixes' or 'Fixed' isn't.. do you happen to know where I can find a complete list?

It's linked in the tutorial. Using others isn't bad per se.

The difference between recommended and unofficial categories is that the recommended ones will be displayed first, then comes "All", after that the unofficial ones. For example, I use a category "TODO" in my own changelogs. It's always moving down the list (only the current version will have this section), so I can add to it whatever I think of and move it into the proper place ("Changes", "Bugfixes" etc.) once it's implemented. One of my mods also has a category "Release names" where I tried to come up with a clever name for each version when I was bored. :-)

You should be consistent, though. Using different category names for the same thing (e.g. "Bug fix" and "Bugfixes") is bad because the entries will be split across different tabs. Also, too many tabs could lead to problems because scrolling left/right isn't supported correctly, so part of the data won't be displayed.

3 years ago

I hope I'm using it correctly now :)

3 years ago

Yep, it works now! Instead of "Notes", you could have used "Info" -- that's the category the devs use for that purpose. But you've used "Notes" consistently, without mixing the two, so that's perfectly OK. :-)

3 years ago

Hehe.. "Consistency is key since they generate the named indexes"... got it :)

This thread has been locked.