Water Turret

by Pi-C

This mod provides an early game Water thrower that does minimal damage but slows down the enemies (use steam for extra damage!) and an advanced turret for extinguishing fires (use "Hardened pipes" to give it extra resistances!).

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Combat

i [Pending] Fire Department compatibility...

4 years ago

i would love to use these turrets in my curent run not only as a way to "splitt up big groups" but as "fire extinguishers" aswell.
(maintance madness, fire department, bot servicing, nightfall)

i know there are the universal turrets for it.... but feeding them per bot or belt just seems wrong (aside from servicing those bots due to the mod "bot servicing")

would be awesome to let the waterturrets use the extinguisher "stuff" as a pipeable fluid.

(aside my "wish" i just adore this mod, good work, no biter heavy run without it!)

greetings SounLee

4 years ago

This would be cool in combination with some fire-spitting bug, for example like the one in the movie Starship Troopers.

4 years ago

Not sure how this would work out:

1) Use another input, so two fluids can be stored in the turret? (Implies changes of the graphics -- help would be appreciated as I'm not good at making graphics.)

2) Keep the turrets as they are today, use only one fluid, attack enemies with that fluid -- and if it is fire extinguisher fluid, also attack fires? (Any suggestions to what kind of damage the fire extinguisher fluid should do?)

3) Keep the turrets as they are and don't use special fire extinguisher fluid; instead, use water (how about steam?) to attack enemies and fires.

4 years ago

number 3.... the recipe for the fireextinguischer fluids (universal turrets and used by bots) is WAY to expensive... it uses a chemical science pack as an ingredient (makes no sense at all to me O.o)
i dont know if steam should be able to extinguish fires.

4 years ago

number 3.... the recipe for the fireextinguischer fluids (universal turrets and used by bots) is WAY to expensive... it uses a chemical science pack as an ingredient (makes no sense at all to me O.o)

OK, makes sense you don't want to use the expensive stuff to douse some biters with it if hot water does the same.

i dont know if steam should be able to extinguish fires.

Neither do I, but not allowing that would mean you'd have to feed different fluids to different turrets (water for light attack + fire extinguishing vs. steam for heavy attack). Guess it could be done in the control file (for every water turret on every surface, check for fire in its range; if ammo is water, put out the fire, if it's steam, ignore it). Of course, it would make sense to run these checks only every 5 or 10 seconds (i.e. each 300 or 600 ticks) instead of on every tick, to take off some load.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

yep... the turrets used to extinguish fire are placed far back in the factory anyway.
(i've already done the run with fire department...and a forrest fire killed my whole run, ups/fps to zero. fire warnings on tenthounds of trees -.-... i'm not sure if it's even playable with fire department in a long run ...if that happens)
[does it even make sense to follow this idea any further and at a load of stuff to the mod? and fire dep. is still on 0.17 i guess..]

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

yep... the turrets used to extinguish fire are placed far back in the factory anyway.
(i've already done the run with fire department...and a forrest fire killed my whole run, ups/fps to zero. fire warnings on tenthounds of trees -.-... i'm not sure if it's even playable with fire department in a long run ...if that happens)

On this note: Does Fire Department actually burn trees as well as your own stuff? I'm playing with Will-o'-the-Wisps (updated this myself -- if I remember correctly, it doesn't take much more than changing the version number), so a huge forest fire at night, spawning immense numbers of wisps, would slow it down even further. I already had some situations where UPS went down to close to 0.

[does it even make sense to follow this idea any further and at a load of stuff to the mod? and fire dep. is still on 0.17 i guess..]

If it is this mod by OwnlyMe, it already has been updated.

I'm not sure whether it makes sense. Sure, it's nice to have everything in one mod so everything that belongs together is displayed in the same style. On the other hand, I also like modularity -- small mods that are good at only one thing, but do this very well. Adding stuff can easily get out of hand, and maintaining the mod can get quite hard. So, of course I'm for keeping the mod simple! :-)

However, it really does make sense that a water turret can extinguish fire if you place it inside your factory. Adding just this feature would be acceptable, I guess. I only wonder if it could cause problems with water turrets meant for defense. Imagine there are flame throwers that try to burn your enemies, but as soon as there's something burning the water turret would quench the flames! Perhaps only extinguish fires if there are no enemies in range?

4 years ago

didn't notice that it was updated^^
anyway burning trees are not the problem, it's how firedepartment handels them.
(in my case a flamethrower turret had set fire to some trees wich had spread fast!)
random fires are only set to things wich use electricity not to trees.
burning things handelt by fire dep. are something other then in vanilla i guess (raising an event?)
calls bots to kill the fire and shows a warning .....for EVERY burning tree. (again i'm not a modder shrugs)
with will-o-the-wisps i bet it gets out off hand if the woods are on fire. (so yes i see why it could be usefull to put out these fires.)

4 years ago

Water turrets loaded with water will now (version 0.18.2 of this mod) extinguish fires within their range if there are no enemies around.

4 years ago

wow thats some heavy scripting! O.o
the water turrets are now kinda "useless"
they need too long to take out a fire started by "fire department". the fire spreads like always... and the turret aims on the still burning REMAINS of the building.
due to fire biters/spitters... the water turrets in defense at the perimeter are taking out the dying fires of those biters.
they waste water and can't defend like that.

PLEASE give me an option to disable the whole fire extinguisher thingy scripting as it is a pain in the a**.
i thought you would go along with a dependenci for "fire department"
script only active when that mod is in.
thought it would be more like:
dependenci -> fire department
when fire dep reseached (fires incoming!) THEN and ONLY THEN switch the water turret to fire extinguischer mode.
steam attacks/slows down biters... water will take out fires. no heavy checking through scripting if biter or fire.

(am a bit tired...sleeplessnight, if something is not understandable let me know. i'll try to do better)
please give me an option to disable the whole fire extinguisher thingy....

4 years ago

Say, can I reach you per PM over the forum? It would be easier if I could send you something there, so you could test it before I release an update. :-)

4 years ago

discord: Sounlee #9200
i'm not that active in the forum

4 years ago

I'm not on discord or any other social networks, just on the forum. :-)

Anyways, I think fire extinguishing should be available if "Fire Department" isn't installed as well. I could add an optional dependency on it and lock fire fighting behind the research if it is. I could also reduce the lifetime of fires in this case. Would half the current time work for you?

The script works this way: If a fire is detected, I create a dummy with a maximum health of 2 on its location. This dummy will be an enemy, so it is automatically attacked by the turrets (unless there are real enemies). When the dummy dies, fires in the radius you can set via the start-up option are removed. Reducing the maximum health of the dummies should make extinguishing fires faster.

As far as I know, it's unfortunately not possible that only certain turrets attack certain enemies. Either something is an enemy of your force (then all your turrets will attack it, whether they can damage it or not), or it isn't (and won't be attacked at all).

4 years ago

ok my account is still working in the forum... you can contact me there if you want.

the firefighting makes this mod go heavy on ups. i just ask to make that optional (players choice again).
the firefight is... how it is now, just a way to pricy gimmik in terms of UPS ,it should be optional (aka standart OFF)
those who wants it can activate it.

(oh and on numbers 316turrets pull down the ups to ~45..[with the non firefight version] i'm on 57)[yeah my pc isn't the best and i'm not the only one, thats why i fight for a lightwight mod]

4 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

the firefighting makes this mod go heavy on ups. i just ask to make that optional (players choice again).

I've optimized the code some more for 1.0.2, and at least in my tests (with a mod-heavy saved game involving "Flammable Oils", a huge storage-tank array and about 200 fire extinguisher turrets), performance has greatly improved. I'm currently also working from the other end to hopefully make Water Turrets and the successor of Fire Department play nice with each other. (WT already fights all kinds of fire, including that of FiDe.)

New response