Vehicle Radar

by Optera

Adds radars revealing locomotives and vehicles.

Content
3 years ago
0.14 - 1.1
Transportation Trains

i Vehicle radar "Standalone version"

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi there, i love this mod, but the radar visible area is not that big (which is understandable), given revealing too many area and with tons of moving loco probably will resulting in major performance hits.

However, consider make a "standalone version" of this mod, where it only activates when we insert Vehicle radar as an item in the equipment grid. And the visible area is as big as the normal radar (more about this later).

Reason is, i want to reveal the surrounding area of my artillery wagon.
Even though the artillery fire is revealing part of the chunk it's traveling to; It's not that accurate / late update, so as a result there's many "false" red dot in the map, especially regarding enemy unit (but not structure).

So often i send an artillery train, with no way of knowing is the red dot on the map is a real entity or just a leftover from previous radar scanning / artillery shot..
Then i waste artillery just to reveal the map.

Of course, putting this in tons of loco is not something i intended to do,
If so, let's say if a player abuse this feature, then it suffer from UPS hits, then it's their faults anyway, since the idea is just to put a small number of the standalone version on artilery train.

Things to consider:

• Radar coverage is much smaller than the basic (manual) artillery range,
    So,..if it's possible, the radar should have a dynamic range, where it can cover a bit longer range than the current artillery range tech.
  • Some player may not like it if the radar is revealing area all the time, plus it may affect performance when the train is passing through a huge number of enemy alongside it's path.
    So, how about the radar only activates when the train is stopping, stay on for couple of sec? Then it activates again every time an artillery shot is fired?
    Perhaps as a configurable option ?
  • Both the Vehicle Radar mod version (Global & Standalone) can be used together.
    Or even better, dual functionality ? The entity is still the same, but we can also put it as an equipment item than placing in the ground.
    If that's not possible, then they both are separate mod on it's own.

Thank you.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I made an equipment radar over a year ago and came to the conclusion it's not worth the effort.
Monitoring equipment is a pain in the ass. It works as long as there are no mods automatically putting equipment in vehicles.
The overhead from checking if the entity and grid still exist, if the equipment radar is present and powered is a lot higher than cycling all vehicles of a certain type whenever a specific radar type finishes a sector scan.

I have my artillery trains automated to run between small fortified outposts and a refueling stop. The outposts contain a small solar array to power a radar and roboport as well as the inserters for gun turrets.

4 years ago

Equipment radar would be awesome for my artillery train (and oil tankers maybe), that's what I came here looking for. this mod is a clever way to work around not having those though

New response