by OwnlyMe

Adds transformators for better control over the power grid

Content
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.18
Power

g dynamical configuration of input/output priorities would be nice

5 years ago

there are several applications for transformers which have opposite input/output priority requirements, and on my current map, i just could use both of them at the same time. thus, for me it is no option to change the priority in the code. but you already wrote (in another discussion thread) "... maybe adding something so you can change the usage priority ...". that would be nice, eg having an item (similar to modules) which determines the priority, or some other means to achieve this (like signals etc). i don't know whether that's possible at all or how difficult it would be, but here are some of the scenarios which can happen in one single map :-)

-1- main factory has enough power and a subfactory (eg the lasers behind the wall) shall always be ready. a transformer between main factory and lasers guarantees that all available energy from the main factory is used to charge accumulators in the laser subnet.
-1a- transformers only send a "normal" amount of energy and share it with all machines, but no energy from the accus in the laser subnet "flows back".
-1b- the transformer input gets highest priority (just like lasers have) so that they have priority over all other machines. 1a and 1b are very similar (the subnet will be charged and keep the energy in accus in case the lasers need it), but 1b will use all energy first to charge the laser subnet while 1a would need more time since energy is shared between transformer and other machines (which keep running even if only slowly).
using both 1a and 1b might make sense to quickly charge up some logical circuitry and some status displays (using highest priority, instead of lasers) and then more slowly (but still faster than normal machines) charge the lasers.

-2- a subfactory is self-sufficient and produces energy. some of the energy is needed to keep that subfactory running, and all surplus energy is sent through a transformer to the main factory. thus the subfactory will always work and only the surplus is used for the main factory. for this version, the input would need to have lowest priority (like accus, to never pull too much energy from the subnet) and the output highest priority (to fully utilize the power from the subnet before any other energy producers).

i tried implementing scenario 2 with power switches which connected the transformer to the subnet only if the subnet's accus were full. but with the current version of this mod, as soon as the accus were full and the transformer was connected, the transformer pulled ALL energy from the subnet and fed it to the main factory (which was using too much power when a smelter array kicked in). when the accus' power dropped the switch separated the transformer again and they started recharging. but while the transformer was connected power satisfaction of the subnet was below 100%, it was no longer self-sufficient and after a few of these cycles it died, followed by the main factory which then had no power at all (instead of only reduced power).

does anyone have an idea how to solve this use case -2- ?

when transformers could be configured with some items (or maybe even better with some signals since then they could be reprogrammed automatically :-) combining case 1 and 2 would be possible, eg having a "power main bus", several self-sufficient energy producers (case 2) which feed power to this "power main bus", a small main factory which pulls power from this "power main bus" with highest priority (to keep a few items on stock and to keep some logic controllers working), and finally the smelters and lasers at normal priority (maybe with further subnets for high priority lasers and low priority smelters).
the number of possible combinations would be endless when transformers could have such different priorities and even more so when reprogramming them with signals :-)

ps: when all energy is directly converted and forwarded through a transformer, it should have max input = max output !? maybe at most with some connection/transformation losses. but on the other mod (Transformators, with transformers which look almost identical) the transformer's description always says "max input = P" and "max output = 10 x P". is that programmed completely differently than this one ? such different input and output values would only make sense when the transformers are also accus which get charged slowly and can be discharged 10 times as fast AND not all the time all power is forwarded but rather stored (having "max input = output" when used like a diode) ?!

5 years ago

i'd happily work on adding this feature if you donated 2-5€.
i'd add a gui that opens by clicking on the transformer where you can change the usage priorities of the input and output.

5 years ago

with a gui of its own, it maybe could also get a setting how much power exactly is transferred max. (some value below the max transfer rate of the respective tier)

how to donate, when NOT using paypal and NOT using credit cards ?

when will 0.17 be released ? will the priorities and how they are specified change with 0.17 ?
programming a gui certainly will change a lot ...

5 years ago

I'll look into this when i find the time.
Thank you for your interest in my mod.

New response