Tiers 32

New tiers, next tier is about 32 times better than previous but also 32 times expensive; much better UPS optimization; supports every mod; supports multiplayer

3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

g [Possible with new mod] Cross-Mod Interaction

5 years ago

I enjoy this mod, but I wanted to ask about its tendency to add new tiers for things in other mods. I like the idea, but many of these new items are dysfunctional. For instance, the Hand Crank Generator mod adds in a manual generator. This mod adds four new tiers of that generator, but the new tiers of Hand Crank Generators do now actually work (you can't use the hotkey to crank them). If possible, would you be able to make the new tiers of the Hand Crank generator work? The same can be said for some other mod-added items, but this is the most noticeable for me.

5 years ago

It is possible, but then I need to write my own Hand Crank Generator inside of the Tiers 32.
I mean, it's much easier to request this mod connection in the HCG, then it will be added to mod dependencies.

5 years ago

Hand Crank Generator is supposed to be used for bootstrapping of low-tech bases in mods that require energy to run offshore pumps etc pp. Or in emergencies when you have a blackout.

From the description of this mod "Tiers 32" you're asking me to make a version of HCG that is 32^4=1 Million(!) times more powerful. And i frankly don't see that as part of the mod concept, unless i hear an insanely good argument.

5 years ago

I think that only one tier is pretty useful, just one second of handcranking is better then 32 seconds.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Btw. HCG has extensive mod options to customize it to exactly the amount of manual-interaction the player finds useful.

@darkfrei: How about you instead check for accumulators etc. with <input_flow_limit = "0kW"> and don't create disfunctional copies of those. Because anything that has no power input is guaranteed to require scripting to work and i wouldn't be suprised if this is happening with other mods too - just without anyone reporting it.

5 years ago

Yeah, but it was not obviously.

5 years ago

Fair enough.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Actually some of accumulators can be without input flow, output flow, but charged or discharged by some mods, that can working with much more than only one entity.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Just to clarify, the reason I was asking about functional, tiered hand crank generators is because I have always been one to like multiple routes/methods of doing something. In this case, tiered generators would actually provide a viable, but manually powered alternative to solar panels. Since solar panels produce 60 kw and the hand crank generator produces 20kw of energy at T1, the hand crank generator produces 33% of the solar panel's energy and is cheaper. The Tier 32 mod multiplies their effectiveness and cost by 32 each tier, so the solar panels would be more expensive but produce more power at each tier while the hand crank generator would be somewhat cheaper at each tier with 33% the energy generation of the solar panels. Thus, a player would have two different ways of meeting power requirements: Go solar with accumulators for a completely hands-off, set it and forget about it method of power generation, or go for a reasonably cheaper, but lesser yield and manually powered energy generation method. The reason I prefer the Tier 32 method of higher, but more expensive tiers is because it preserves a relative balance: The normal hand crank generator is only for powering early game, low-tech bases for a time, while the higher tiers allow you to manually power a mid to late game base if you're willing to invest many more resources into it (cost scales by 32 each tier as well, meaning a T4 hand crank generator is still incredibly expensive). With the current options for hand crank generator customization, which comes with only one tier, you can only have either an early game only generator that becomes impotent quickly, or you must settle with a generator that provides the power to fuel a mid-game base, but is consequently unbalanced in the early game. A tier system with vastly increasing cost like in this mod would preserve the balance of the normal hand crank generator, while still allowing that method of manual power generation to present a more hands-on, but reasonably effective alternative to the tiered solar panels included in this mod.

I do, of course, still understand that each of your mods has a specific purpose in mind, and so I respect your decision whether you include it or not. I do not wish to nag or pester either of you, so this will be the last time I mention this unless it is brought up at a later time. However, I wanted to give clarification for my request. It's just something that bothers me if I don't.

5 years ago

I take no offense from people asking for more features as long as they don't take offense if i shrug them off with a short "nope" :P. (And i'll skip any technical reasons because meh.)

Personal annecdote: I don't actually like "tiers". I know they work as a game design solution in certain situations, but if overused i quickly find things boring. And since minecraft days i never liked how every secondâ„¢ tech mod had "compressed solar panels" because they completely violate even imaginary game-physics (see (1)).

There are two main points i have against your argument for more HCG tiers:

1) Realism. HCG generates power from body movement. An no amount of technology can amplify the power of your body without consuming power by itself. And hopefully the current default values of HCG still fall into the realm of "suspension of disbelieve" for most people, as most power numbers in factorio are somewhat fictional anyway (try comparing factorio solar panel efficency with real-world ones).

2) Much more important: Factorio is about automation. HCG fundamentally violates this concept by providing a non-automatable power source for early games and emergencies. But from a game-design perspective i don't want to carry that concept further or discourage power automation for mid-game bases by providing a manual one-block workaround. Factorio is also a game about scaling things up, which is yet another reason against a "better one-block solution" for me.

PS: HCGs license permits you to make your own fork with multiple tiers ;).

5 years ago

Understandable. Thanks for the response. I guess I'm just a sucker for anything with multiple tiers.

New response