Tag To Teleport

Place a teleportation tag on the map to travel there instantly. Give it a name and you can fast travel there with a keyboard shortcut! No costs, perfect for the end-game when you got tired of running and travelling by trains. Just click RMB on map and set the icon "tag to teleport", done!

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

i Some Sugestions

I really like this mod. It's simple but it works very well. (I tried a few other teleportation mods before this one, but wasn't satisfied with those).

First of all in the information section it still says: Choose icon "Dot signal", even though it has it's own signal.
Second, It would be nice to have a few permanent teleportation tags with a dedicated keyboard button.
So for example adding map tags "Teleport Location 1", "Teleport Location 2" and "Teleport Location 3" and adding keybindings with the same names. Pressing the key associated with "Teleport Location 1" would then teleport you to that location.

5 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion!
Now the name of the tag can be used to define which player will be teleported to the tag.

5 years ago

I don't know how to check that the same keybinding is not used by another mod.

Normally you shouldn't need to do that. The user should be able to assign any key to a keybind. Like they do the same with any other ingame keybinding. It should just pop up in the options.

5 years ago

I see the easy solution to send player to last target position or back to starting position.
Support of multiple targets is much complicated.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

It actually wouldn't be that complicated, but I am not sure if it is possible to make different number of key bindings dynamically.

What you could do is provide 10 keys, named "Location1", "Location 2" and so on. Then if the player presses the key associated with Location 1, you would need to search existing tags to choose which one to teleport the player to. And possible display an error if there is more than one match.

Also, I wouldn't like to name the tag just "Location 1", I would prefer to name it "1 - Home" and "2 - Iron Ore Mine", so you would have to require the tag name to be in specific format and when checking tag.text you should have the logic to check that (rather than doing basic equality).

And obviously this would break the functionality of teleporting a specific player to the tag.

By the way, very nice mod and very simple. After 300h I got tired of running :) I am surprised you have so few downloads. I have been using Personal Teleport mod but managing over 3 dozens of beacons became overwhelming.

5 years ago

Do you have the code under source version control? GitHub preferably. I would be happy to contribute.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

@jarcionek you can always make your version or ask for permission to edit this mod

5 years ago

I see that you made me a mod collaborator already. Thanks. I will create a repo in my GitHub (https://github.com/Jarcionek?tab=repositories) and add the existing source and probably start working on it tomorrow :)

5 years ago

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

There is still some work to do before it's release-able (and I want to play with it for a while to make sure that it is stable), but could you have a look at my work so far, please?

https://github.com/Jarcionek/Factorio-Tag-To-Teleport/pull/1

Note that I am not familiar with Lua (I work primarily with Java) and the first time I have ever attempted to mod any game was a week ago, so all feedback welcome :)

New response