Spidertron squad control [0.5.0 BETA RELEASE]

adds a spidertron squad remote so you don't have to use 100 remotes to control your spider army. also adds a follow mode for your spider army. And a better entity-follow tool that doesn't require you to link every single spidertron individually Beta versions available on GitHub for testing: https://github.com/npc-strider/spidertron-squad-control/releases

Utilities
3 years ago
1.0 - 1.1

i Patrol remote

3 years ago

Create a Patrol remote,
select (1 or more) spidertrons,
click on various points on the map to create waypoints
the selected spidertrons will walk between the waypoints until told to do something different

3 years ago

Oooh now this is interesting but also a whole new set of features. It might be better suited for a separate mod?

Anyway, I guess you would set a patrol field for the squad consisting of an array of locations (or, I suppose, preferably a queue, that way you don't need the counter), and a counter to keep track of which location it's approaching. Once a location is reached (or close enough), increment the counter and set the next location.

Once something like this exists, though, it's very useful to recycle the code into "patrol" (where the spidertron starts the cycle over again when it reached the last point) and simple waypoints to just get somewhere once by going around a lake.

3 years ago

I might implement it using code from the link tool once that is completed
so it will link the spidertrons to a waypoint entity that once it gets close to it, teleports to another destination in the array.
of course, this seems a lot harder to implement because I need to set up a system for making a list of waypoints, in order, and managing the order, adding/deleting waypoints, etc. Maybe I will use chart tags, but that means you need a naming system that isn't flexible (but is ultimately easier to implement)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

FYI, there's a mod that just came out that has a decent implementation of this, https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SpidertronWaypoints and notes a future update of working with Spidertron squad control.

3 years ago

Not only that, he's already proposed a PR with the neccesary code changes in this mod.

3 years ago

Hi all, I'm the author of the patrol/waypoint mod. Yes, I've created a PR for this mod, but it isn't ready yet, I'll redo it at some point over the next couple of days.

@morley376 of course if you'd rather implement the functionality yourself, that's fine, just let me know and I'll stop developing the PR for compatibility with mine :)

New response