Shuttle Train Refresh

by StefanT

Train management for personal transportation with some new concepts.

Content
7 months ago
Trains

g Per-player personal train in multiplayer [enhancement]

3 years ago

Hi,

First of all - thank you for making the mod available, what I have seen so far it seems to behave pretty well :)

I do have a question regarding multiplayer, though - is it possible for players to designate dedicated personal train, or will the shuttle train be picked from the pool of available shuttle trains?

The scenario is multiple people having their own dedicated personal trains that have been set-up/customised for building outposts etc (e.g. with custom item layout etc). Very often people's opinion on what should be stocked in a train can differ, or you might need to do a little bit more customisation on loadout in wagons before heading out.

Best regards,
Branko

3 years ago

Yeah this would be handy. A possible solution would be to have a GUI that allows to call one of the trains that have the manual-mode equipment module.Maybe have some sort of filter in this GUI then that allows to hide specific trains per player. Or only show specific trains. I will think about it.

1 year, 11 months ago

Quite a late reply on this, but after looking at the filtering code for stations, I figured one way to do this would be to simply have ability to filter on train (locomotive) name, as part of per-player settings. The drawback would be that trains cannot be renamed in vanilla game, although I have been using this mod for it:

On the plus side, having it filtered by name would mean that you can easily have multiple personal trains per-player (if you just make sure to name them correctly).

If it were implemented by storing the train ID associated with player (for example via selection window), one thing that would have to be done is to keep track of that ID changing - in case new wagons get added or locomotive gets destroyed. Another mod I used to use had this kind of issue, where it would lose track of personal train. However, there is an event for this kind of change that could be processed.

In either case, I think it would be beneficial to have the ability to quickly call the train without extra clicks - I really liked this both with this older mod and Shuttle Train Refresh - almost a no-brainer to get the train coming to you.

So, I could try to get the first option implemented (via locomotive name filtering), that would probably be quite easy to implement - the only question is whether train renaming should be added to this mod, or maybe that Renamer mod could be recommended to players instead - Shuttle Train Refresh would work without that one as well, although you'd have to keep closer track of your trains getting renamed etc.

1 year, 11 months ago
(updated 1 year, 11 months ago)

Having to rename the trains seems to me like a workaround. ButI like the version with storing the owned trains per player. This could be a section in the station selection dialog. It contains the name of the current owner and a "make it mine" button to change it to yourself (better button name required).

Maybe it is possible to make it more symbolic as a button in the title bar of the dialog. If you own the train then the button is highlighted. If you do not own it and click the button then the ownership is transferred to you.

And a map option to enable the train ownership model.

New response