Schall Oil Fuel

Allows various oil barrels to be used as fuel, to vehicles and machines. Fuel settings are balanced towards vanilla fuel. (Locale: English, Deutsch, 正體中文, Português Brasileiro)

Tweaks
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Fluids

i [Pending] Mod Support Request

4 years ago

Hey buddy,

Any chance we can get comparability with KS Power Diesel Fuel?

4 years ago

I am not using that mod. So can you describe briefly what you specifically want?

I think features of this mod can be divided into 3 parts?
1/ Adding fuel settings (fuel values, speed multiplier, acceleration multiplier) to oil fluids.
2/ Adding fuel settings and burnt result to oil barrels.
3/ Adding burnt fuel inventory slots to various burner-using machines.
So which part(s) are needing the work for compatibility?

If it is just about part 2 only, I think it is way simpler to request that in GitHub of KS Power. If that diesel fuel already has fuel settings, it is just directly single line of code (okay, actually 3 lines for also the multipliers) within KS Power.

PS: BTW, it seems he has quite different fuel values from mine.
My heavier oil has the high fuel value; but light oil has much better vehicle performance.
In KS Power, it seems Heavy Oil is the only bad fuel; others are most-or-less the same. And none of them seems to have extra vehicle performance.

4 years ago

Well I mostly use Diesel for base power, just thought it would make sense for my cargo truck to run off Diesel as well. It's no big deal I guess.

The draw for me was fuel economy rather than power.

4 years ago

Which does beg the question... Would you want to create your own Diesel for your mod at some point. Diesel is at this point literally the only thing I use KS Power for.

4 years ago

So are you not asking for parts 1-3, but actually a new part 4?
4/ Create my own diesel fuel fluid, and diesel fuel barrel, with fuel values.

According to my sources, the fuel value of real-world diesel fuel lies between fuel oil (heavy oil) and petrol/gasoline. (From high to low.) So it cannot have higher fuel value than heavy mine (defined as 1.4 MJ per fluid unit, or 70 MJ per barrel). It would perform just like another light oil (defined as 1.2 MJ per fluid unit, or 60 MJ per barrel), although vehicle performance could be better. Wonder if you are still interested in this "more realistic" diesel fuel?

Looking back at KS Power, the diesel fuel there (2 MJ per fluid unit) is way way too high (esp. when compared to all his other fuel fluid, 1.5 MJ per fluid unit), which is totally unrealistic in my taste. It does not have any slight resemblance to the real-world diesel fuel.

4 years ago

I'd take realistic over OP.

4 years ago

Then... there is nothing need to be made?
For realism, my heavy oil is already the best for fuel value.

4 years ago

Perhaps but I'm not so sure it's balanced. Personally I think it should require processing before usage at all and not "direct-to-tank". On one hand we don't need another Angel's Petrochem, but on the other there should be some kind of work involved to make it usable. Hell, I still find it annoying that cars can run on wood and coal.

This is all just my opinion of course.

4 years ago

Yes, I totally agree with you about wood and coal too. Coal was used as fuel for steam locomotives and many ships; but cars and tanks have much compact engine, which also needs more "stable" fuel (or simply to say, refined fuel) for that.
Wood is only used in household for cooking or heat generation, never as as decent industrial fuel (for powering up machineries or electricity) directly.
However, vanilla game just named them all under "chemical" fuel category, and default burners are all set to accept that. Game prototype currently allows one fuel category only to each burner entity, so I cannot do anything to "make it more realistic" without breaking vanilla entities. So I cannot do anything about wood and coal, sadly.
For personal gameplay, I don't even bother with cars and tanks without solid fuel. But I do put coal into locomotives, just like what the people still did 100 years ago. So no realism-breaking after such self-restriction. ;-)

The view on oil fuel in game is two-sided. As what you said, we do not need another overhaul petrochem here, which is too overcomplicated (in my taste). For vanilla style, the vast majority of products are one-step process, except like the end game rocket parts. So it sounds should not have small steps to fit with the vanilla "spirit"?
About making a new recipe for diesel fuel (so now two-step?), I am not sure about this yet. Before discussing that, I have to mention the one of the two-step product first: lubricant. Heavy oil 1:1? I ask myself everytime when I saw that... Devs (over-)simplified the oil processing in late-0.17. So why they not just eliminate this dumb 1:1 recipe also? I don't want to make another dumb recipe like that.
The another two-step product, solid fuel, has very close ingredients to the KS Power diesel fuel. From gameplay viewpoint, the diesel fuel just looks like another solid fuel. (But right, the name gave me the first impression it was an advanced product. But not after seeing its KS Power recipe.)
But I have no chemical-expertise, to know what and how real diesel fuel is made of. Maybe someone can tell me if it is really needing hi-tech to manufacture, and is really of higher quality than solid fuel?

4 years ago

Can't recommend anyone, however at least one person told me it should be Heavy Oil + Light Oil, not Light Oil + Petroleum Gas to make Diesel. I tend to agree based on what I know of the fuel. As to fuel density vs solid? Solid Fuel I was under the impression was fast burning but high energy. I've heard of Diesel Locomotives getting very high fuel economy. A quick Google search yielded a result of 134 Ton-Miles per gallon.

New response