Realistic Reactors Revived deprecated

This mod adds a more realistic nuclear reactor, a breeder reactor and a cooling tower. The reactors are controllable via an integrated circuit interface, and have a dynamic output depending on their temperature. They need proper cooling, otherwise a nuclear meltdown will occur.

Content
3 years ago
Power

b Heat output too low

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hello,

Firstly, thanks for adding some cool features to what was already an excellent mod. The control rods add another facade to automation.

I’ve noticed that the heat output is 10 times lower than what appears in the GUI though, for both formulas. When the output says 743, the actual output is 74 MW, as confirmed by the Rate Calculator mod. I’ve had a lot of experience with Realistic Reactors so appreciate the power curves. These reactors are supposed to go up to almost 3 GW - I have seen nearly that in the GUI when driving the reactor close to meltdown but this is not the case in-game.

Likewise, efficiency is way off. Using Ownly’s formula puts the efficiency at over 1000%. If the consumption of fuel occurs at the same rate as the actual output but the efficiency is incorrectly calculated using the GUI “output” then this makes sense. Using Ingo’s formula burns fuel really quickly considering how much power is actually being outputted - it says 100% but in real terms is more like 10%.

What is meant by 1 GW electric output in the mod description? I haven’t seen the reactor producing any electric power, just thermal.

Not sure if you are looking to update the mod but thought you’d appreciate these being flagged.

Thanks.

2 years ago

Hey,

I was confused when modifying the code, I noticed a 10x factor that I couldn't get rid of and ended up hacking around, and I'm sure that's what you're noticing. There's also the difficulty of making emergency cooling plausible given the amount of water that can be pushed through the core. That's why I made the reactor much larger, so I could put in extra inputs and outputs for water.

I don't plan to release another update, apologies. I just wanted to make sure that the mod survived into the 1.0 era. Since you understand the formulas better, I encourage you to take a crack at the mod yourself, I'm sure you can do a better job.

Thanks!

New response