Realistic Reactors

Add realistic nuclear reactors including a breeder reactor type and cooling tower. The reactors must be controlled through integrated circuit interface signals. The thermal energy output is dynamic and depends on reactor core temperature. The reactors require sophisticated designs of their cooling system and heat-pipe network. If the operational conditions aren't met then a reactor core meltdown with dangerous consequences occurs

Content
10 days ago
0.16 - 1.1
Power

g Your formulas/Fuel types

4 years ago

Hello, you seem to be more active here than on the forum, so I will go ahead and copypaste my forum post here for other people to find later.
Also, feel invited to go grab a beer, I live in Stuttgart as well.

FIrst of all, thank you for the brilliant mod. I love it already, albeit I have not yet built a reactor.

I have two questions - first of all, this "efficiency". I understand the number, but what does it mean in practical terms? Efficiency of 200% means a cell lasts for 400 seconds, efficiency of 50% means a cell lasts for 100s?
Or is it "how much energy a cell provides, 8GJ multiplied by the efficiency factor"?

I have built a setup in creative mode, using ingos formulas, with a reactor and a cooling tower, set it to cool if it reaches >500C. Now what happens is, the default cell lasts for 300s. Assuming that the pump takes some ticks to kick in, and efficiency then jumping around 115% propably, the 8GJ*by 113% would give about 9GJ instead, which would correspond with the second hypothesis, since the power output in that temperature segment * by 300s that the cell lasted would make around that power.

I have then tried to insert a cell from the Plutonium Energy mod, and it does not seem to work, specifically "The nuclear reactor can't use Unknown key "fuel-category-name.PE-MOX" fuel. I have checked noth mods and spoke to Plutonium Energy Author, and it seems that in latest patches he changed the fuel_category to "PE-MOX" from "MOX". I tried making a change into your mod myself, changing

[code]if data.raw["fuel-category"]["MOX"] then
table.insert(reactor_template.energy_source.fuel_categories,"MOX")
end[/code]

to

[code]if data.raw["fuel-category"]["PE-MOX"] then
table.insert(reactor_template.energy_source.fuel_categories,"PE-MOX")
end[/code],

but it did not work. Do you mind fixing that? It would be great. I have no experience with factorio mod writing, so it does not always make sense to me.

I have then also checked how you algorithm would work with the 20gj plutonium cell the mod is offering, and to my understanding there is no specific formula for it. Am I missing something, or is it intended? It seems to me, that if it would work, it would output the same energy as a uranium cell does, but for a longer period of time.

Also, I am wondering, what these lines do:

[code]data.raw["heat-pipe"]["heat-pipe"].boiler = "1MJ"
data.raw["boiler"]["heat-exchanger"].energy_source.specific_heat = "1MJ"[/code]

What do these do in data.lua? I am not certain. I tried analyzing the data.raw, and finding the parameters, but the first one seems nonexistant, and the second one seems to be 1MJ in data.raw per default?

New response