Realistic Reactors

Add realistic nuclear reactors including a breeder reactor type and cooling tower. The reactors must be controlled through integrated circuit interface signals. The thermal energy output is dynamic and depends on reactor core temperature. The reactors require sophisticated designs of their cooling system and heat-pipe network. If the operational conditions aren't met then a reactor core meltdown with dangerous consequences occurs

Content
a month ago
0.16 - 1.1
Power

b Dynamic Cooling?

5 years ago

So, 10-19, you guys did an update, and it broke something. The water cycling through the ECCS used to rise to 100C before the cores could warm up. I built an entire cooling loop off that behavior. Water would come out of the cores heated, and either cycle a closed loop through a pool tank and back to the core, or when the temperature hit threshold, it would get shunted to a cooling tower and dropped to 15C, then back into the main loop where it would mix with the hot water and balance out.

This new update doesn't transfer any heat into the ECCS water, so it just stays cold. If this was an intentional fix, it invalidates the cooling towers entirely. I've got an entire reactor complex running on this, and I'm starting a document on it as a personal project (Fully automated, PLC-managed, core complex). I can't have behaviors changing completely when I have pretty much the final complex up and running. So I need to roll back.

Keep me informed.

5 years ago

i thought the water was always 100°C when getting out of the reactor? :-/

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

i thought the water was always 100°C when getting out of the reactor? :-/

Edit: yeah, something totally broke....
i used to anly pump out eccs when reactor core reached a certain temp - now it cools totally down without pumping anything... (yeah, its turned on ;) )

@Ingo: what was the problem you tried to fix here in the first place?

5 years ago

The behavior I've noted in 2.0.2.

Water enters the ECCS, gets heated by the core, and comes out at 100C. When I mix this with water I've set up in a pooling tank (15,000 water unit reservoir tank), it raises the temperature of the water in the tank up a touch.

Prototype assembly image here:
https://imgur.com/r1nS4En

The water pumps through the core continuously, and it is fluxuations in the incoming water temperature that cool the core. When a core temp hits threshold values I set, the primary loop diverts from BLUE stream, to YELLOW stream and is cooled before being returned to the loop. The Green loop is a manual cooling bypass for drawing down the core. My power plant has grown far beyond this prototype assembly. (I'm running a 4-core, PLC operated plant that is capable of reacting to overdraw demands by taking the plant off the electric network to protect cooling system operations from brown-outs. It can also respond to thermal shocks [excessively fast rising core temp hitting critical unexpectedly] by scramming all cores and purging the entire system, and automatically restarting the reactor assembly without player intervention.)

5 years ago

Definitely a bug, I can reproduce this. The core is still cooled by the ECCS, but the water doesn't get heat up vice versa anymore.
Looks like this is something we broke in one of the last updates, we'll check it...

5 years ago

Ok, fixed in version 2.0.4 - hopefully without breaking anything else ;)

5 years ago

By the way: there's a small spot where you can mouse over the ECCS, then you can see the actual temperature of the fluid inside. Usually it should be ~100° though...
https://imgur.com/QrSMpWh.png

5 years ago

thanks ingo.

just to understand: is it better to have much liquid inside to have minimal temperature changes when pumping in fresh water?
I didnt get it when i started using your mod, so i ended in changing the lua files to decrease the fluctuations in the temperature. It wasnt possible to maintain a reactor at 990°C before, cause the temps changed many times per second in very big steps (i.e. 980 ->998 -> 975 -> 970 -> 990)

after decreasing the calculations / s it smoothly goes 975 ->977 -> 980 ..... until it gets cooled at 990 at jumps down to 970.
almost no fluctuations

5 years ago

The way I make the thermal flux more smooth is to have a pooling tank full of water in the loop. The water in the tank acts as a heat sink that absorbs any changes in water temperature. If the water in the loop is 100C, and there's say, 15,000 units of water sitting in the pooling tank, then any water that comes out of the cooling tower at 15C has to first mix and average out with the existing 15,000 units in the tank. This may reduce the tank to say, 70C instead of shoving 15C water directly into the ECCS.

This'll reduce the flux of the core itself.

5 years ago

The way I make the thermal flux more smooth is to have a pooling tank full of water in the loop. The water in the tank acts as a heat sink that absorbs any changes in water temperature. If the water in the loop is 100C, and there's say, 15,000 units of water sitting in the pooling tank, then any water that comes out of the cooling tower at 15C has to first mix and average out with the existing 15,000 units in the tank. This may reduce the tank to say, 70C instead of shoving 15C water directly into the ECCS.

This'll reduce the flux of the core itself.

sounds nice for the cooling - my "problem" was more the heating, since it jumps to often in large steps - cant get it to increase constantly and smooth.
All i did was decrease the updates / second - which made it way more comfortable to play with.

5 years ago

I found that when I pump the cooling right out of the reactor, the cooling doesn't heat up at all. having one pipe piece before the pump produced a stable cooling curve however.

New response