Realistic Fusion Power

Adds a new way to produce energy through nuclear fusion. Fully compatible with K2, Angel's/Bob's, SE and IR2. Currently getting rewritten (see end of description).

Content
11 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Power

b Electric Boiler overunity [not]

3 years ago

https://youtu.be/DAi30t9qbb4

I've started using your mod and I was doing some calculations (it'll be in the last half hour of the video) and figured out that the electric boiler makes just under 40 steam per second. That'll mean 3 boilers will satisfy 2 steam turbines.

3 boilers use 6mw
2 steam turbines will produce just under 12mw

That's an overunity of nearly 2x (it's 5.8mw per steam turbine) which is a nice perpetual motion machine
I know that an electric motor is maximum 81% efficent, so a generator is also 81% (this number was told to me by my father when I was a child, trying to invent an overunity engine) and a kettle/electric boiler is probably 100% efficent, but I'm thinking at best, these boilers feeding steam into a turbine can only produce 80% of the power it needs.

Were these calculations based on steam engines?
4 steam engines use 120 steam a second, produce 3.6mw
3 electric boilers produce 120 steam a second, consume 6mw.

Maybe this is worth bringing up to the forum as well, as how come a steam turbine produces so much more energy than a generator?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

The steam produced by the e. boilers is 100°C, which is much much lower than the 500°C that turbines need for max power output.

And yes, it was supposed to be used with steam engines, but even there will be some efficiency losses because they use 165°C steam.

Also, use the GS process if you can.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Using
(x°C - 15°C) × 0.2 kJ × 60 units
(taken from the wiki), you get 1020kW power output for each turbine. Not 5.8MW. You can even see it in your video if you hover over the turbines that they're producing 1MW.

3 years ago

Hey, thanks for the quick response, just checked, plenty of steam, but 1mw output.
I'm going to stick with the turbines as they consume more steam in one go.

I've seen a flare stack in angels petrochemicals, would you consider doing a cooling tower so the steam can just be vented into the atmosphere?

3 years ago

The boiler-only method is a relatively primitive way of extracting heavy water, using hydrogen sulfuride to enrich it first in a refinery before boiling is much better (the depleted water can then be dumped back into wherever the water came from with a discharge pump). And the steam is being vented into the atmosphere in the turbines anyways, so why not produce some extra energy.

New response