Rampant

by Veden

Improves the enemies tactics by using potential fields (pheromones) allowing probing of defenses, retreats, reinforcements, counterattacking, breaching, raids, rallying death cry, and player hunting. Uses blockable biter projectiles. Adds new Enemies which can be disabled in mod settings. Difficulty setting in mod options menu.

Content
7 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Enemies

g No enemy variations

1 year, 3 months ago

I've played multiple worlds so far with this mod, and only the common and acid biters spawn. I have all the variation boxes checked, and it still only spawns common biters. Any way to fix?

1 year, 3 months ago
(updated 1 year, 3 months ago)

As I see new factions appear via two mechanisms (and it works!):

1. expanding occupied area. Then some parts of players base (some outposts for example) will be located in areas of different enemy clans - different factions usually, but if you explored a huge map very early you can be unlucky and get only Common and Acid at very low evolution level (if you discovered all land at evolution 5% for example). Don't worry - this mechanism is too slow anyway to see any change.

2. Mutations. Every clan can mutate up to a number of times specified in mod map settings (default value is 2, I recommend to increase it to some much greater value). Mutation is a change of main faction (you called it "variation"). Mutations occur
    a) once player kills number of biters - see "AI: Adaptation Modifier" mod map setting. It selects a faction with some resistant to damage type used to kill most of them (usually first type is physical, then it will be fire/laser, etc).
    b) random mutations. I don't know what triggers them, but they do consume "Max Mutations per faction" too (wrong wording in setting name - it's not faction, but some other name like "baseAI" or tribe/clan/kindred).
    Mutation mechanism is very fast. After mutation occurred all new/upgraded nests will be of that new faction. Old nests/worms change only via slow upgrade. Biters faction is determined by nest faction, but when forming a squad or even when walking around nests they effectively mix.

So how much time did you play? Mutation should occur sooner or later. It happens many times in my playthroughs.

1 year, 3 months ago
(updated 1 year, 3 months ago)

I played for about 30-50 hours on a few worlds, only one of them I saw electric biters spawn near the end. Maybe I just need to play longer or turn up the adaptation modifier?

I also tried loading up a sandbox world, speeding up the game 10x, setting the evolution to 100%, and killed a bunch of them with a spidertron and I didn't see any new mutations spawning. Is there any way I can test the mutations?

1 year, 3 months ago

or turn up the adaptation modifier?

turn down this modifier or kill more biters (4500 biters required by default. I have to kill 25k by 20% evolution on medium map start difficulty and 40k by the same moment on high difficulty, therefore I have to triple this modifier to avoid mutations taking place too early)

I also tried loading up a sandbox world, speeding up the game 10x, setting the evolution to 100%, and killed a bunch of them with a spidertron and I didn't see any new mutations spawning. Is there any way I can test the mutations?

Higher evolution demands even more biters to be killed for adaptation mutation to happen. Set evolution on some early-mid game value like 30% (not less than 20 and not higher than 45%), set AI:Adaption Modifier to 0.001 , save map settings, check that mod settings for current map were saved correctly and go kill 10 biters.

1 year, 3 months ago

Just tested in Sandbox: set evo 45%, very low adaption modifier, killed 350 biters with fire ammo ("Incendiary Magazine") and in 5..7 minutes mutation occurred, caused by fire damage and leading to appearance of... Fast biters :-) I don't know why. Probably at 100% evo killing 1000 biters will give more logical resistant faction generation. I assume (and I hope) that some factions (like Poison, Nuclear, Laser) appear only after some evo value reached no matter what damage type was used to annihilate enemies.

New response