Rampant

by Veden

Improves the enemies tactics by using potential fields (pheromones) allowing probing of defenses, retreats, reinforcements, counterattacking, breaching, raids, rallying death cry, and player hunting. Uses blockable biter projectiles. Adds new Enemies which can be disabled in mod settings. Difficulty setting in mod options menu.

Content
6 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Enemies

g Biter bases/nests mostly inactive

1 year, 4 months ago

Hi, love this mod, can't Imagine playing without it. Thanks for making it!

Biter bases in my game seem to be in inactive for hours, maybe always some places. One part of my base to the north near the uranium mine, have leaked a lot of pollution for hours , but it just leaks that pollution into inactive nests. They do somewhat activate if I go near, but there's not much attacking going on.

The version of Rampant : Rampant 3.1.2
What is your map evolution: 0.6774
Was Rampant added at the start of a game: Yes
A brief description of what you are experiencing: Bases go inactive for hours at a time. Biters don't move. Attack waves not forming.
A brief description of want you are expecting: Bases not go inactive at all or for a much shorter time. Biters moving and attack waves forming often.
What mods are you using: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?p=576860#p576860

I attached a save file and a map image. If you go around the base exterior walls you can see almost no movement, and to the north where pollution leaks and is absorbed by bases there are almost no attacks(if any at all from pollution, maybe raiding happens sometimes?). Is the map to big and processing chunks and bases takes so much time that Rampant doesn't work as it should? Can't imaging playing without Rampant anymore :(

If the case is too many chunks or something like that, is there something in the lua script I can tune or change? Process more bases or chunks per tick or something? Have decent programming experience, but not much lua scripting. What function(s) should I look at to do that if this is the case?

Thanks a lot!

1 year, 4 months ago
(updated 1 year, 4 months ago)

Hi,
You can turn on a number of Rampant mod settings:
- Print point spendings to chat
- Print point gains to chat
- Print when settlers start building

and see what is going on. Appearing messages will contain geo position info.

In my experience Rampant sometimes switches to internal activities and wastes points on local migration. This is additionally provoked by factorio game engine: it generates far away chunks (3 chunks away from charted chunks border and 10 chunks away from player farthest visited chunks - the most distant point of these two is taken for chunk pre-generation area selection mechanism). It leads to effect that depending on map picture biters activities may sometimes (in over 50% cases or more!) target the areas you haven't even discovered yet. :-(

As I see it: If you don't have buildings 3-4 chunks away from biters nests they will prefer internal activities to sieging or raiding your infrastructure.

New response