Rampant

by Veden

Improves the enemies tactics by using potential fields (pheromones) allowing probing of defenses, retreats, reinforcements, counterattacking, breaching, raids, rallying death cry, and player hunting. Uses blockable biter projectiles. Adds new Enemies which can be disabled in mod settings. Difficulty setting in mod options menu.

Content
7 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Enemies

i Color Tint Options For Factions

2 years ago

Hi, I wanted to make a color adjustment mod for the faction spawners since I think that the extreme color overlays are a bit too much for me precious immersion (Inferno, Sapper, Wasp and Spawner are the prime candidates). Now I read that the swarmUtils.processFactions() method is in data-final-fixes.lua and that makes it (in my 1 day factorio modding experience) impossible to override the tint & tint2 fields in the FACTION_SET[] in any way.

Since your FAQ mentions that loading factions earlier increases loading times, which I think is wired when reading the following in the wiki:
"The data stage [...] When running through this stage, the game looks through all mods for a file called data.lua. After data.lua has been executed for all mods, each mod's data-updates.lua is executed, and finally each mod's data-final-fixes.lua is called.",
I don't expect you to change that if it is indeed such a difference.

My suggestion, then, would be to add some options for the faction tint values in the settings.
Yes, that would mean 96 (16 factions * (3 tint + 3 tint2)) more settings with the standard double-setting >:D.

Anyhow your decision, I would like to let it be known that there is demand for some color adjustment for this wonderful mod.

2 years ago

You could probably create a dependency on Rampant and the data-final-fixes.lua should be run after Rampant runs its data-final-fixes.lua.

I'm not eager to add 96 mod settings.

You are not the first person to want to change the colors, the previous individuals just provided a merge request for the changes.

I would be willing to include the colors behind a mod setting toggle.

2 years ago

Ah true, the dependency order should solve the problem. Didn't think that far :D

I will try to make it work that way and provide color options in my mod to not overload yours, since there are no open- closable groups for options.
Parsing hex values should reduce the amount of options as well.

I will let you know, regarding the color toggle, if I encounter any major problems.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Ok, I started to override the tint values in the data entries after you load them into factorio. I assume that you give certain unit types that can create fire or puddles a function to do so. I don't think that its possible for me to change these to take different tint values.
I am talking about the template.meleePuddleGenerator = function () [...], for example. Which would call data:extend ({acidFire}) in fireUtils.makeAcidSplashFire() each time a fire is created, if I am not mistaken.

Considering this, your offer to include the colors in a toggle sounds like a good deal but I think that I got a better idea, if you are interested:

My mod provides the ability to customize the colors in settings of your choice, because you would have to read them and maybe convert them: double (96); string per tint (30) {0.1 0.1 0.1}, {#aaff09} or similar; string per faction -my favorite (15) {0.1 0.1 0.1-0.2 0.2 0.2}, {#aabbcc #ddeeff} or similar.
Also an option to use a preset which values are stored in the default_value of the color settings.
If you make my mod an optional dependency of Rampant you could then read my settings in settings-update.lua and update your FACTION_SET tints accordingly.

Let me know if you think this is a good plan and if you would like to integrate it into your mod or not. I will make a prototype and upload it as deprecated so you can take a look at it if you like.

2 years ago

Rampant3.0 looks awesome with this change! Thanks!

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Glad you like it. Just took a look at the changes in github.

I have to say though, that I did not exercise quality control when picking the default tints but at least you are now free to choose yourself :)

Didn't expect the settings to be in the mod, so thanks for implementing them Veden.
I noticed that the settings also include the alpha value. Not saying that it is unusual and might lead to invisible enemies (haven't tested it) but this might be the beginning of actual troll factions :D definitely looking forward to the release.

2 years ago

If you want to update the values further feel free to open a MR.
If you find other entities like the hives that you want to customize, let me know and we can toss a third tint into the mod settings.

1 year, 11 months ago
(updated 1 year, 11 months ago)

I see absolute transparency for new generated Spawner Faction worms and nests (both biter and spitter nests) - only their shadows are visible, flicking.

I have in settings the following colors masks for it:
ffccffff e54ce5ff 99199990
Is something wrong in these values? I didn't touch it except increasing alpha for hives (same 0x90 like for all other factions' hives).

Didn't have this problem till Rampant3.1.0 release. Does anyone have the same problem?

1 year, 11 months ago

ah, it's not Spawner Faction, it's some intermediate entities without faction info, and they disappear in about a minute - probably after some pending enemy buildings are created.

New response