Rampant

by Veden

Improves the enemies tactics by using potential fields (pheromones) allowing probing of defenses, retreats, reinforcements, counterattacking, breaching, raids, rallying death cry, and player hunting. Uses blockable biter projectiles. Adds new Enemies which can be disabled in mod settings. Difficulty setting in mod options menu.

Content
7 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Enemies

i Explanation of mechanics for non coders

2 years ago

I would like to suggest an official explanation of the mechanics of rampant to people who won't just dig into the lua code.

I had like 4 hours of seemingly constant slowly intensifying attacks after i started to expand my defense line and wondered what happened. The AI was constantly in onslaught mode and the values of the debug text seemed to be stuck at high values. I started to think it may be a bug. After a few hours and looking in the code i now know it was probably caused by my abundant use of artillery to eradicate nearby nests to reduce aggression. I thought it would be caused by getting too close to them and with every shell i poured oil into the fire of aggression. Killing them all with some Spidertrons seemed to work without the same side effect. I would have suspected the opposite.

I'm still not sure i understand the role of temperament right. I'm still not sure what exactly the impact of siege and raiding ai is. Should i disable them if i want some peace possible due to avoiding pollution or can i leave them on without inviting trouble regardless of staying out of the biters receptors?
What is the idea behind temperament? Am i doomed to push it to max later when rockets start every few minutes?
What about pheromones? Are they just some pathfinding and directing hints?
There are many options for the mod during gameplay but it is quite hard to understand what the result would be aside from general 'lower usually means less biters'.

Many questions and while i could inspect the code i still won't neccessarily understand the idea behind it. Some won't even get to that point. So i think it would be a nice thing to have some explanation for the mechanics as they are and what the idea behind them is.

I really like the mod by the way :)
It certainly made me check my ammo production capabilities twice when the biters got angry.

2 years ago

+1 (i would like some clarity too)

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Raiding AI is the thing to disable if you don't want to have attack waves outside the pollution cloud.
Siege AI is expansion towards the player and player structures.
Yes, artillery causes the temperament to go up.
Rocket launches will cause the AI to gain points to spend on attack waves and rise the temperament.
Yes, the pheromones are roughly the pathfinding algorithm.
Temperament causes different AI states to be available to the AI.
Low temperament typically is migration, siege, or raiding.
Medium temperament typically is aggressive, migration, and peaceful.
High temperament typically is siege, raiding, onslaught.
The short version is that this is on the todo list.

New response