Rampant

by Veden

Improves the enemies tactics by using potential fields (pheromones) allowing probing of defenses, retreats, reinforcements, counterattacking, breaching, raids, rallying death cry, and player hunting. Uses blockable biter projectiles. Adds new Enemies which can be disabled in mod settings. Difficulty setting in mod options menu.

Content
7 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Enemies

b No creep in expansions - Krastorio

3 years ago

Hi! This mod has been great except for balance - it's been really tricky for me, I've had to re-start 2 games with settings adjusted because I too experienced the apocalyptic doomsday expanding bugs at about mid-game; twice.

As an aside, I think that there's some vanilla setting that makes the mod suffer from the lack of respect for exponential numbers with regard to alien base expansion. I feel like it's a lot like the "doubling duckweed on the pond" story which I will not re-hash here, you can google it.

In any case - I play with Krastorio, and I noticed biter expansions in Rampant don't use Creep.

If you've played Krastorio, you know that Creep is an ingredient in Military Tech Cards (bottles). Only the initially spawned bases from the creation of the map have Creep, and it makes it really hard to obtain when using these mods together.

Could we do something about this?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I noticed, that Rampant requires some good warfare mod to cope vs massive biters attacks. Rampant Arsenal gives appropriate damage bonuses (more technologies and turrets/weapons if one is in time in technological progress vs evolution). As I see Krastorio2 gives very huge bonuses for usual turrets in terms of damage, range and overpowered tech bonuses to damage (+50% with every technology) making early-midgame Rampant biters tiers very easy.

In any case - I play with Krastorio, and I noticed biter expansions in Rampant don't use Creep.

That's really very bad news. I started K2 with Rampant recently too. Did you try to ask for help on Krastorio discord server? I can't play vanilla with fixed small health of spawners&worms - Factorio isn't worth playing without Rampant.

3 years ago

I didn't ask on the K2 Discord, no. The last time I posted on their forums about the erroneous error message saying you can't smelt stone when you haven't researched "stone processing" (it should say you haven't researched stone processing, not "you can't smelt stone") they summarily deleted my thread with no warning, so you'll forgive me if I don't have a lot of faith in them.

I got to nukes in my current game and the bugs were way too easy, not aggressive or nasty at all, so there's clearly some amount of fiddling I need to do with the sliders.

On the topic of creep - I didn't end up resolving it; I just made a tank and drove out to some biter bases and did some risky drive-by-shovelings of creep to get enough to build the creep making greenhouses.

3 years ago

I didn't realize there was a double post for this before I replied in the other thread.
I'm accepting pull requests for the code.
I haven't looked into how Krastorio handles the creep expansion, so I don't know what would need to happen to add compatibility.
Vanilla has also added a creep mechanic that I imagine will eventually be added to Rampant.

3 years ago

Pull request for Krastorio creep created.
Also (separately) one for Factorio 1.1 support.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

If someone could take Krastorio creep out of Krastorio2 (and a few other lovely features like uranium radiation from that unbalanced mod) it would be a bomb... For example an option to replace 2 walls by some intermediate item made of 10 stone bricks + 1 creep in Military research for Rampant Arsenal (or independent mod just to make creep essential for military research, and without any ability to produce it synthetic by automation like it was broken in NE or K2).
I mean that this idea with creep substance in K2 (of course ignore automated synthesis and virus to remove creep) is much much better than alien artifacts in any mods or old vanilla (in terms of balance and atmosphere).

2 years ago

This issue still in place. Is there any plans to improve compatibility?

2 years ago

I noticed this was still an issue, so I started looking for a solution. I think I've found one that's quite simple. But I figure I should ask if there's a reason not to do it this way.

for i, spawner in pairs(data.raw["unit-spawner"]) do
spawner.created_effect = {
type = "direct",
action_delivery = {
type = "instant",
source_effects = {
apply_projection = true,
radius = 6,
tile_collision_mask = {
"water-tile",
},
tile_name = "kr-creep",
type = "set-tile"
}
}
}
end

I'm still running tests, but this seems to work just fine. It doesn't create creep under any current nests, but it does for all new ones, whether they're created by automatically replacing vanilla nests or they're spawned by migration. I may release this fix as a mod in a day or two. (I'm thinking I'll make the radius a setting too)

2 years ago

Great!

2 years ago

Qatavin your fix works. One problem is that after you use the krastorio virus creep remover, your fix will continue to spawn creep.
The reason i don't use it is because I'm then having to maintain the code.
Krastorio has an interface to spawn creep at a point using its builtin mechanism, but it is broke in the version on the mod portal. The github version has this fixed.
Rampant already has compatibility if the remote interface is fixed.

2 years ago

Krastorio has an interface to spawn creep at a point using its builtin mechanism, but it is broke in the version on the mod portal. The github version has this fixed.

I wonder if nests generated by hive will produce new creep via that code? I can't say if it's wrong or right. Interesting outcome - what happens if one destroys worms and nests around hive, collects creep, then waits some time nearby provoking new nests generation.

2 years ago

Nests from hives should trigger the remote interface in the current build

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Rampant already has compatibility if the remote interface is fixed.

I do confirm it with code taken from K2 master (with today commits) and Rampant 1.1.1.
1. For old saves creep is generated only outside uncovered map + a few chunks farther https://imgur.com/a/4SLjbpv .
2. For new maps all nests are surrounded by creep.
3. Expansions generate creep with worms and nests - https://imgur.com/a/YR19Mam .

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

In Rampant 1.2+ worms generate creep too. In Rampant 1.1.1 only nests generate creep. Long live the creep!
Update: no creep around worms can be found only in fresh world in starting zone + generated adjacent hidden chunks. Discovering map and biters expansions give creep around worms.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hi, I also recently started a Krastorio (EDIT: Krastorio 2) + Rampant game and like others have just now noticed that only a few biter nests have any creep around them; 99% of the other nests have no creep.

It was mentioned that Krastorio 2 has an interface to spawn creep with a builtin mechanism, but I haven't been able to figure out how to access / enable it from searching online / in-game. Is there some way to use Krastorio 2 to spawn creep?

2 years ago

It's a problem in Krastorio mod. You need to play new Krastorio2, not the version here on mod portal.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

2.0.0 introduced an issue with the Krastorio2 interface
The issue that need to be fixed was passing position as {x,y} instead of {x=x, y=y}

Versions prior to 2.0.0 or 2.0.1+ any of the following would work.
1) Using the ingame console (this will disable achievements) /c __Krastorio2__ global.creep_on_remote_interface = true
2) Use the github version of Krastorio2 and package it.
3) Modify 1.1.6 the mod portal version. Open the zip file and edit Krastorio2_1.1.6/lib/private/control-scripts/migrations.lua and delete everything in the file and copy and paste the following then re-zip it.

return {
    ["1.1.6"] = function ()
        global.creep_on_remote_interface = true
    end,

["1.1.2"] = function()
        local shelters = global.spawn_points
        local filters = { name = { "kr-shelter-light", "kr-shelter-plus-light" } }
        if shelters then
            for _, surface in pairs(game.surfaces) do
                for _, light in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered(filters)) do
                    local force = light.force.index
                    local surface_data = shelters[surface.index]
                    if surface_data then
                        local shelter_data = surface_data[force]
                        if
                            shelter_data
                            and surface.find_entities_filtered({
                                    name = { "kr-shelter-container", "kr-shelter-plus-container" },
                                    position = light.position,
                                                              })[1]
                        then
                            shelter_data[#shelter_data + 1] = light
                        else
                            light.destroy()
                        end
                    else
                        light.destroy()
                    end
                end
            end
        end
    end,
}
2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

It's a problem in Krastorio mod. You need to play new Krastorio2, not the version here on mod portal.

Ah sorry, I should have written Krastorio 2 as that's what I'm using via downloading from the in-game mod browser. For the moment I tried Qatavin's mod "Rampant-Krastorio 2 Creep Fix" which appears to have fixed the issue. If I run into issues later with Krastorio 2's anti creep virus, I suppose I can disable the "creep fix" mod then.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Sorry, accidental double post

New response