Rampant

by Veden

Improves the enemies tactics by using potential fields (pheromones) allowing probing of defenses, retreats, reinforcements, counterattacking, breaching, raids, rallying death cry, and player hunting. Uses blockable biter projectiles. Adds new Enemies which can be disabled in mod settings. Difficulty setting in mod options menu.

Content
6 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Enemies

g Neutral Spitters get stuck attacking trees

4 years ago

Hi,
I have a problem with neutral spitters. Over time, huge swaths of them get stuck attacking trees. While Biters can chew trough them, the spitter's attacks don't seem to damage the trees, hence they are stuck until the tree is removed otherwise.

Screenshot:
https://imgur.com/a/qOlRdM6

Savegame:
https://gofile.io/?c=UgvGv2

I just recently cleaned up the stuck biters using artillery, disabled some mods and played with some rampant settings, but they are stuck again.

Thanks for your time and the great mod!

4 years ago

where should I be looking on this map?

4 years ago

nevermind

4 years ago

There are a few on the south of the main factory, but they pop up everywhere. I can provide a newer save if needed.

4 years ago

I found a workaround: By disabling the mod setting [Map->Rampant->Safety: Disallow Friendly Fire Splash Damage] the spitters are able to kill trees once again.

Turns out trees were the enemy all along.

4 years ago

for sure.

The next update, should fix this either way.

4 years ago

Thanks very much!

4 years ago

Bug was fixed.
But is it by design, that inferno spitters can put on fire entire forest on the way from their nest to player's base? Then that fire produces a long living big pollution zone where player has never ever been and biters become angry about pollution... like natural disaster in Amazon rainforest.

4 years ago

By design.

I'm open to suggestions if you have feedback.

4 years ago

The only suggestion is probably impossible to do in mod as it requires basic game change.
Make nuclear, suicide and inferno factions do not hurt the nature when stuck on path finding. Allow them to retreat only.

First two factions make a party suicide whenever a dead tree comes on their path in an empty field. They even destroy nests. Funny, but a little stupid behavior, makes game easier when running away from horde - look for shelter among rocks or trees and one biter kills half of his brothers&sisters.
Inferno starts rainforest fires, makes pollution in his own world. If Factorio is about nature we hurt with our industry, then those natives shouldn't touch the local things. At least they should do it only when player or any of his buildings are nearby (some kind of inferno rage mode). It's a very rare co-incidence now when such fire goes to player's buildings.

4 years ago

nuclear and suicide would require changing the resistance or what is affected by the explosion, so I could make it so explosions from them would not damage trees, but they will still explode. I could also make the explosion not affect any of the biters, spitters, and nests. Thoughts?

I feel like the explosion should still damage trees, but the other party members is something that I'm unsure about.

For the inferno spitters, making forest fires within range of player buildings is possible.

In factorio, nature is in perfect harmony with itself before the engineer. I don't see any issue with the natives causing collateral damage to its own environment.

4 years ago

Sorry, I wrote incorrectly. I mean those biters/spitter not to attempt to attack trees and rocks when they are moving in normal mode (not enraged by player's presence or his buildings nearby). But if they do, then to damage trees and rocks as it is done now.

4 years ago

That sounds like an factorio engine level issue.

At best I could hope to reduce the frequency of collision by causing rocks and trees to be accounted for by Rampant the same as it does water tiles or cliffs.

The downside is that biters would no longer try to move through chunks containing dense forests or rocks at all.

4 years ago

Yes, that will be not good to avoid obstacles areas making player to hide something inside. Now Rampant makes monsters move very good, much better than in vanilla. Combined parties of different factions with different moving speeds waiting for each other are brilliant. Destroying obstacles is best solution for AI, but for those 3 factions it has severe disadvantages. May be factorio developers can do something.

New response