Power Overload

Performant, semi-realistic power distribution overhaul. Power poles can explode if the total electrical consumption on the network is too high. Use transformers to separate networks so that subnetworks do not take more power than they can handle.

Content
1 year, 2 months ago
Power

g [Completed] Idea for Graphics update

1 year, 6 months ago
(updated 1 year, 6 months ago)

Hi,

Love the mod, but I think some custom graphics would really make it better. I made a simple little entity that could maybe act as the small fuse. You can view it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOUYWwHaDe9OLe8NJror5sTHoirICQX-/view?usp=sharing. Let me know if you think it's a good idea and maybe I can make some more.

Thanks,
Taylor

1 year, 6 months ago

Hey, thanks very much for the interest! I definitely agree that it needs custom graphics, the only reason it doesn't is because I have no graphical skills!

What you've done there is good, I'd happily add it if you can complete the set of fuses. Ideally it would have to include new icons as well. Don't worry about doing the 4 different orientations for each pole, I think for the fuse it is fine to have a single orientation.

For the other entities, the transformer would be pretty high priority (a better looking colour swap or adding something to make it distinct from the power switch would presumably be fairly doable, whereas a completely new model would be much harder). The high energy interface is only needed with certain overhaul mods, so isn't a priority. And the nexelit fuse is only needed with PyAE, which I can barely imagine anyone actually playing with Power Overload.

And then for the huge electric pole, it currently uses an old (non-HR) sprite from Factorio 0.16. Any improvements to this would have to come in the form of a brand new model (unless AI upscaling has improved since I last tried, which to be fair was 1.5 years ago so it probably has... feel free to give it a try).

Let me know your thoughts, and feel free to jump into my discord if you want more of a back-and-forth chat :)

1 year, 6 months ago

It also looks like you’ve changed the resolution in that entity from the original pole? Ideally it would stay the same to avoid upscaling artifacts. There’s also the option of doing both normal resolution and high-resolution sprites, but just HR is ok.

New response