Power Overload

Performant, semi-realistic power distribution overhaul. Power poles can explode if the total electrical consumption on the network is too high. Use transformers to separate networks so that subnetworks do not take more power than they can handle.

Content
1 year, 2 months ago
Power

i [Completed-1.2.0] Handeling High energy structures

3 years ago

I like this mod and I feel like there should be some ultra-high-energy power poles, well more like interfaces.
Something like a 3x3 or even 5x5 with a single tile of electrical supply area in front of it. This structure would be able to handle near-infinite amounts of power at the cost of size and wire reach. These would be used for single buildings that can produce and draw multi GW loads

3 years ago

Yeah that's a good idea, and probably essential in order to use certain mods. It isn't possible to have the single tile of electrical supply (well, not without some complicated hacks that are probably not worth the effort and makes mod incompatibilities more likely). But just a single extra tile all around it would be fine as long as the wire length is extremely short.

3 years ago

Yeah, that sounds like a good compromise, altho I thought it was possible to have the building entity be built offset.
As in the building has a 1x1 power supply area and the building will be offset to the side. Thus making the same effect, but it does make it a strange experience to place.

3 years ago

Oh maybe, I'll have a look into that. Unfortunately I don't have time to make additions like this any time soon.

3 years ago

Fair enough

1 year, 11 months ago

I've just added the high energy interface into v1.2.0. It is a 5x5 entity with a 3x3 supply area offset by 2 tiles, so it has 3 tiles of supply area sticking out its left side. Making it have 1 tile of supply area is sadly impossible (https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=102450). I might look at making it rotatable in the future but that will be fairly hacky, and I don't see this entity being very useful for the majority of players.

New response