Power Overload

Performant, semi-realistic power distribution overhaul. Power poles can explode if the total electrical consumption on the network is too high. Use transformers to separate networks so that subnetworks do not take more power than they can handle.

Content
1 year, 2 months ago
Power

i [Declined] Can other items be made to overload?

3 years ago

If you can make overloading poles, what about overloading assemblers? What about accumulators that explode of their capacity is exceeded?

Just some idea ;-)

3 years ago

Yes, that should be quite easy to add. I'll probably have it off by default though.

3 years ago

everything explodes... that will make for an interesting experience.

3 years ago

In vanilla, there's never any sense of going _too_fast. Your machines go from 0% to 100% depending on the electricity. If ALL you machines explode at 100%, you're going to have to do some math to figure out what range of watts it can handle and you'll have to setup a sub-grid via a transformers mod to at least keep it under 100%.

3 years ago

You can even setup a bunch of transformers and switches and combinators to make a "potentiometer" which lets you dial in the amount you want. You'd be able to scale up and down production by a signal. You'd could also blow it up with the wrong signal.

3 years ago

Oh, you mean assemblers/accumulators etc exploding if their electrical buffer fills up? That would be quite different to the power pole explosions then, but also easy to implement. In order to play with it like that, my transformers would have no effect, but you’d definitely need power switches. To be honest I’m not sure it would be playable at all?

3 years ago

I'm not sure I understand. I need to take a closer look at your code to see how you implemented this.

Perhaps, the machines simply take damage when high voltage is applied?

3 years ago

I've spent some time learning and I now see potential for 2 different mods
- PowerOverload - items are damaged by excess wattage. This can be limited to poles, or not, with gradual damage, or not. Also includes fuses?
- ThingsFallApart - items are damaged by full buffers (by it electrical, steam, water, etc)

3 years ago

Agreed. I’m not planning on making the second one though, so feel free to do so yourself. You can, of course, use any code from this mod (respecting the LGPL license that I’ve inherited from beltlayer).

New response