Plutonium Energy

Adds processing of plutonium, excess product from nuclear reaction. Plutonium can be used to make ammo (even plutonium atomic bomb) and to generate energy as MOX fuel.

Content
6 days ago
0.15 - 1.1
Power

i [Discussion] Plutonium ammo

Some people pointed out that using plutonium in ammunition for machine guns or tank cannons is not practical irl (uranium is practical because of its phisical properties). This may lead to plutonium ammo being removed from the mod, but more likely it will just be a setting.
So I made this thread to discuss this topic. Feel free to post your suggestions about it here

3 years ago

I support with your decision.
After reading some articles about plutonium, I have found that "depleted plutonium" (abbreviated as DP below) is not a suitable material to be used for ordinary ammo like what depleted uranium (DU) can do.
Pu-238 (which represents DP in your mod) does not have any outstanding physical properties, to warrant the extra ammo damage over the vanilla DU ammo. Combined with the fact that it is so scarce compared to DU (in both your mod and IRL), it has little incentive to be used as DP ammo. So taking this away (completely or as setting) would be a good decision.

The much more useful property of Pu-238 is its radioactivity (alpha radiation). Its main usage IRL is RTG.
However, the game already has the all-powerful and ultra-cheap portable fusion generator giving lots of energy, leaving little place for RTG. (Unless you provide an new option to disable vanilla fusion generator, so forcing them to use Pu-238 to craft RTG? That would be another story.)

There are already mods about RTGs. For example: RTG and RITEG.
I think, if they want, they can implement it.

4 days ago
(updated 4 days ago)

Pu-238 is the enriched stuff, with a half life of 88 years. Pu-239 is relatively "depleted" by comparison, with a half life of 24 thousand years. Yet even that is far more "rich" than U-235 which has a half life of 700 million years. But all three are fissile in that they release more neutrons than they get hit with, or they decay into fissiles, or they capture neutrons to transmute into fissiles, or transmute into things which decay into fissiles; they amplify a local neutron flux. U-238 emits the same number of neutrons as it absorbs, making it effectively "neutron transparent".

New response