Next Gen Evolution

by Qon

Nests absorbing pollution causes evolution to increase instead of when it is produced. An improvement to vanilla pollution evolution behaviour. Default values are balanced to allow you to turn vanilla pollution evolution factor off without changing difficulty but everything is Qonfigurable. Doesn't impact UPS. /ngevolution to see evolution factor

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

b [Not a bug] Peaceful mode disables spawner absorbtion

4 years ago

Since i updated 2 days ago my evolution factor dropped to 0% from 1 and has not gone back up. I even set all the factors from this mod too around 1000 to see if it even worked anymore. It did not change anything. Still sat at 0%. I do have many mods that could be the problem as well but might as well report the problem

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I'll take a look. Please provide Factorio version and Next Gen Evolution version.
Do you know which Factorio version the bug first appeared and latest version it was working?
What other mods do you have installed and which ones affect pollution, evolution etc?

Works on my machine.

4 years ago

Sorry for late reply. Update 0.17.48 i believe it was. after updating factorio and no change to my mods it stopped having a affection on evolution factor. no increase or lose since i have the base games setting set to 0 its completely still. even when getting the natural evolution lose from health trees really high. I have rampant, evogui, extra bitter control and Rampant arsenal. thats all that is related to evo factor. Alien biomes also might have a affect but it does not affect evo its self. I'm gonna disable all my mods and test if its just this mod or a interaction.

4 years ago

Alright, Only have evogiu, map setting editor and next gen evo running for convenience of testing. loaded the same world it broke on for sake of consistency. Waited a minute to see if it changed and it seemed to be working again. I find this unexpected as almost none of my mods have anything to do with evo. Apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for the great mod. Im gonna start guessing and testing what mods it could be. Ill leave update if i find it incase you are curious.

4 years ago

After disabling all my mods and turning them all back on it seems to work right again? I also deleted 3 small mods. Water well, Lua combiner and "fnif" i think it was (the to many items for factorio. I don't think it was them but could have been. Maybe all it needed was a fresh restart without mods. Im not sure. Anyways, sorry for the problem and thanks for trying to help.

4 years ago

So i started trying to play again. noticed my evo factor was only going down despite the map being very red. I upped the absorption to 100000 ish and still was going down. Disabled all mods again on a new world to test and left absorption really high. got close to a nest and set up a array of miners. got the tile and adjust tiles polluted and it didn't go up. So it seems absorption is whats broken. the natural decay from health trees still works and that what i saw working before and thought it was fine.

4 years ago

NGE runs once per minute. Did you wait a minute and confirm that pollution had been absorbed (Production view > pollution)? If so:
On forums.factorio.com, send me a PM with the save file attached. (A new file should be small enough that you can upload it directly in the PM without external hosting sites!)
I want the save with minimal mods possible to reproduce the issue.
I'll debug it.

4 years ago

I didn't have a forums account. I just finished making one but i'm not allowed to send messages for a while. Ill get a external link here for now or we can wait till the restriction ends. https://www.dropbox.com/s/to41ejsg7dryhvw/Next%20gen%20evo%20test.zip?dl=0
Also i did wait long enough.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

No pollution was absorbed by spawners. Check P > Pollution > All time.

The error is that you are playing in peaceful mode. In peaceful mode, no pollution at all is absorbed by spawners. And while the pollution stats says that trees are damaged, they don't lose their leaves (and their ability to absorb pollution).

Not a bug.
The wiki doesn't document that peaceful mode does this, which is confusing.

If you want Next Gen Evolution in peaceful mode then "Pollution absorbed by damaging trees" evolution factor can be used instead. Any pollution that would be absorbed by spawners will be absorbed by the trees instead. And that works in peaceful mode too.

4 years ago

You can try to play the peaceful mode game with the Evo, it is not so optimized as NGE, but works without absorbed pollution.

Why are you need to change the evolution factor in peaceful mode game?

4 years ago

I only turned peaceful on for testing as the spawners were close to me and did not want to get killed while i waited. I assumed it would not change much but i guess i was wrong. My main game is not peaceful and its where the problem started.

4 years ago

I tried testing it without peaceful mode on and got killed a few times before i could wait long enough so i just turned it on.

4 years ago

/editor makes you invulnerable (and pauses the flow of time, so you need to press play to continue)

The mod works without peaceful mode. Well, technically it works perfectly in peaceful mode also.

For you non-peaceful world my guess is that your nests simply didn't absorb any pollution because the trees did so instead.

New response