Miner UPSGrade

by Kingdud

Yet another big miner. The goal was to preserve the mining rate, pollution, and energy usage of 25 beaconed (8-per) miners crammed into a single monolithic building. Arguments can be made that it's slightly faster, searches too large an area for ore, etc, but the reality is, it's good enough. This mod, as with most of my other mods, exists to save UPS via reduced entity count while being as non-cheaty as possible.

Content
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Mining

g New miner model breaks this mod (update 0.18.31)

3 years ago

Pretty expected and straightforward. We've got a new miner model in the game, so this mod no longer works with it.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

There are two paths forward. I can patch this so that it works, but the miner is the same (visual) size as a default miner, or we can wait a few days/weeks until the devs get around to updating data.raw / the prototype page and explain what they changed about the back-end miner prototype, because my code should have scaled up the new model automatically, but it isn't, which means they changed something. I have no way to pull this info from the game, and I'd just be shooting in the dark. The miner will still perform as it should (I didn't test with fluid), but it will look smaller than it actually is.

Path number 2 is that I can post instructions on how to fix it yourself here and we can wait for the data to be released by the factorio devs before I release an official fix.

3 years ago

Honestly, I would keep the old miner model for this mod. I do like the new model a lot, but it is very tall, so it takes up quite a bit of space visually above it. This modded bigger miner would probably overlap over even some larger objects behind its big model. The old one is already hiding some stuff, especially belts/crates around the output section.

3 years ago

Yea, not that easy unfortunately. I just tried it out using the old graphics and none of my for loops that fix the graphics ran. This means they changed the base prototype. Until https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Prototype/MiningDrill&action=history or https://wiki.factorio.com/Data.raw contain data from .31 or higher, I am stuck on being able to fix this.

3 years ago

So is the mod fixable now? I see mining drill prototype from .31 in the history added about a week ago...

3 years ago

It is. I started to look at fixing it and the changes they made are significant. I got frustrated, and a new girlfriend, and...I just can't be bothered to fix it myself right now. :/ I kept hoping to have the motivation to fix it would come by, but...I'm not spending my discipline on factorio mods. There are things in my life that warrant me spending my discipline on a lot more than factorio mods.

3 years ago

Well, RIP my save game I guess :D Good luck with your gf :)

3 years ago

ok, I fixed my problem by downloading the Texugo TA Miners mod. Thankfully this game's mod support is so robust that you can actually use the upgrade planner to upgrade all UPSGrade to Texugo and the MK3 (Mantle Extractor) actually fits the outputs and inputs (sulfuric acid for Uranium mining) of UPSGrade perfectly. The only thing to consider is that the Texugo miners have a wider range than the UPSGrade ones, so in some cases they might reach to far and pick up unwanted resources, but that's an easy fix compared to having to manually replace all miners :)

So yeah, if anyone else runs into game version incompatibility issues with UPSGrade, just get this mod instead:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Texugo_TA-miners

I hope you don't mind me promoting it here, Kingdud, but it saved my 1000+ hour save game...

3 years ago

I finally decided to play Factorio again, and thus, update my mod. I understand if you've moved on. That said, I did not try to preserve the old model. It was far easier to just make the new model bigger. I say easier...literally 3/4 of the entity file is just code related to fixing graphics. Bloody hell.

3 years ago

Curious since i haven't done any modding myself really, but is it basically just that you have to scale the graphics to fit the size of your new miners? Would it make any difference to just have your own animation frames for your mod, or is the scaling necessary because the animation frames would be so huge if you made the animation files in your mod, thus having to include several MB of graphics?

3 years ago

Even if you made new art (Nuclear Rebalance shows how good I am at making art -- ie: I'm not), you'd need to scale it to make it as large as these buildings are in-game. How many times you have to scale it is determined by how many frame of animation you have. The largest image factorio supports (iirc) is 8k by 8x (https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Animation -- see Size). So if you had 10 animation frames, then each frame could be no larger than 819px. That would need about a 1.4 (guessing) scale factor for a 25:1 miner. If you only had one frame (ie: static image) then you could get away with the full 8k image.

3 years ago

Ahh so its all in one image file, yeah then i can see that being problematic with the entity size. Would it make any difference for your mod if you did have your own graphics and had to scale them a bit, but you could plan for something more exact (like the animation is half size so you just have to double it) or is there a lot more complexity that cant really be solved like that?

New response