Krastorio Legacy deprecated

Caution!!! Krastorio 2 is now available! Therefore Krastorio Legacy is no longer supported! This mod expands the endgame, adds 30+ HR buildings, 60+ technologies, new ores, new items and rebalances almost all vanilla game content, making it harder.

Overhaul
4 years ago
0.17 - 0.18

i Compatibility/Balance with Aircraft Mod (Ammos & Equipment Grids)

4 years ago

Hey.

I'm using the Aircraft mod and I saw that Krastorio has it as an optional dependency, but somehow, they don't seem to work quite well together. What I mean is, Aircraft can use Krastorio's equipment but is not balanced around it grid-wise. Also, they can't use Krastorio's ammos. More information and balance suggestions below.

1. Ammos

Aircrafts can't use Krastorio's Ammos. Namely:

• Flying Fortress (Rocket Launcher) can only use the two basic Rockets (Rocket/Explosive Rocket) not the heavy rockets introduced/modified by Krastorio (Heavy Rocket, Nuclear, Antimatter). I assume that this one might be a design choice on your end, but the Flying Fortress is intended as an endgame vehicle so it would make sense that it can hold its own against Krastorio's tanks.
  • Flying Fortress (Cannon) has the same issue as the Rocket Launcher version. It can only use vanilla ammos but not the cannon shells introduced by Krastorio (Large Caliber, Explosion Large Caliber and Antimatter Large Caliber.) The logic behind allowing it - in case it were a design decision on your part - is the same as the Rocket Launcher version.
  • Gunship (Rocket Launcher) can't use heavy rockets just like the Flying Fortress. But it makes sense here since it's a medium-sized vehicle intended for midgame so I think it's just fine and logic as it is.
  1. Equipment Grids

That's actually the reason I made this thread in the first place. So, to be blunt… they are too small.

Here is a comparison of the Flying Fortress' equipment grid with Krastorio's tank:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1834050696

The Tank has a grid large enough that I can put everything I need in there and still have room left for some more.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1834051851

The Flying Fortress in comparison is basically full with just the bare minimum - an endgame power source, a large battery and an afterburner.

So I think that the Flying Fortress should have a (much) larger grid. As large, or at least close to what the tank has to justify its role as an endgame vehicle. If one just want the speed of an aircraft, there is always the jet.

Likewise, the Tank has a huge inventory while the Flying Fortress has an extremely small one in comparison. (2 Rows vs. 13.) Adding in some slots might make sense.

Speaking of the jet:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1834053319

Given the size of its equipment grid, it could as well have none at all. It's supposed to be the fastest aircraft, but given the fact that its grid is vertical, you can't even fit in an afterburner. And even if it were horizontal, you would have no room left for a power source. In order to compete (in speed) with other aircrafts, it should probably have at least room to fit 2-4 afterburners and a power source. (Thus being able to keep up with a Flying Fortress if you enlarge its equipment grid.)

Now the Gunships… One has a 4×6 grid while the other has a 8×4 one. The 8×4 actually sounds alright for a midgame vehicle. Not so much room so it's not OP, but not too little to allow a bit of customization.

As for the Cargo Plane…

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1834055495

It's quite small, but there is enough room for an afterburner and something to power it. But a 4×6 or a 6×4 grid might be better so it allows to actually put some shield for the occasionnal hit.

(On a side note, I actually tried to use Optera's vehicle grids (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/VehicleGrid) but it turns their grids into general purpose ones, which don't work with Krastorio's stuff.)

TL;DR: make Flying Fortresses able to use Krastorio's ammos, and make the equipment grid of all ships larger so they can fit Krastorio's equipments. Optionally, make the Flying Fortress' inventory larger.

To conclude… I'm posting it here in Krastorio's discussions, but should I have suggested it to Aircraft's author instead? (Can he even make this kind of changes from his side?)

Linver ☆
4 years ago

I could enable Krastorio ammo in the aircrafts but I prefer don't change grids, aircrafts are broken, don't need a buff

4 years ago

Sure, that would be great! Krastorio's endgame ammos really have that oomph that vanilla is lacking.

I agree about the fact that they are broken enough that they don't need a buff from a balance perspective. But it's a bit of a shame that if someone wants to use them for more than just moving around, it basically means that they won't get to play around much with Krastorio's stuff related to vehicle equipment.

Linver ☆
4 years ago
4 years ago

I'm seeing that the equipment, gear doesn't allow to be on a better aircraft cargo plane equipment gear. (I don't know whether to report it on krastorio mod or the better aircraft mod so I'm reporting in both modes.)

Linver ☆
4 years ago

Dimmonic sorry I don't have understand ur sentence, could u explain it better?
What is "better aircraft cargo plane" from what i know is 4 the plane: cargo jet assault fly fortress... and cargo plane have a grid 4x4 so the problem is... on?

4 years ago

Get the "Better Cargo Planes" mod installed, then there is a cargo plane called "Better Cargo Plane" which is a upgrade MK2 of the Cargo Plane in red. Sorry for the confusion. The trouble I'm having is that I could not equip the red cargo plane with afterburner or a vehicle roboport on it.

4 years ago

I'd like to second dimmonic in integrating support for Better Cargo Planes, made by Modernkennnern. At the moment, only some of the equipment is able to be placed in the cargo planes that that mod adds, as well as a few seemingly unintentional equipment, judging from what can be equipped in the base Aircraft mod's planes with Krastorio installed.

The better cargo planes would also require some rebalancing for the equipment grid size to be similar to the kinds that appear in the other planes.

New response