Helicopters

by kumpu

Adds a fully animated attack helicopter to the game. Ideal for getting from A to B quickly, exploring the map, building islands and nuking biters from the sky. Now 84% less buggier!

Content
4 years ago
0.15 - 0.17
Transportation

b Helipad critical error

4 years ago

I was having fun with a new game with a list of mods (mostly quality of life), and finally got a heli-remote and helipad unlocked. No issues ever with the helicopter directly since I started using it, but the instant I place the pad it gives a crit fail error and takes me to title screen.

Error message,

The mod Helicopters caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event Helicopters::on_built_entity (ID 6)
Unknown tile name: heli-pad-concrete
stack traceback:
Helicopters/logic/heliPad.lua:69: in function 'new'
Helicopters/control.lua:143: in function <Helicopters/control.lua:130>
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'set_tiles'
Helicopters/logic/heliPad.lua:69: in function 'new'
Helicopters/control.lua:143: in function <Helicopters/control.lua:130>

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

What version of the game are you using, and what version of the mod? And your mod list?

I'm using game version 0.17.43 and mod version 0.3.14, and I cannot reproduce this error.

Thanks

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Base mod - Experimental v0.17.42
Helicopters - 0.3.14

AAI Signal Transmission - 0.1.5
Alien Biomes - 0.4.15
Alien Biomes High-Res Terrain - 0.1.5
Asphalt Roads - 1.1.7
Better Ore Icons - 0.17.2
Bottleneck - 0.10.4
Bullet Trails - 0.4.1
Cargo Ships - 0.0.40
ChokePoint 1.17.2
Clock - 0.17.5
Closest First - 0.17.3
Disco Science - 0.1.10
Dispatcher - 1.1.1
Electric Vehicles Lib: Reborn - 0.1.2
Even Distribution - 0.3.8
Factorio Standard Library - 1.0.7
First One's Free - 0.0.12
Flamethrower Fluid - 1.1.3
Flow Control - 3.0.4
Fogged Research 0.17.1
Free circuit wires - 1.0.2
Grappling Gun - 0.1.2
--
Hovercrafts - 0.17.13
Light Cone - 0.1.5
Lightorio 0.17.3
Loader Redux - 1.4.10
Longer Days and Nights - 0.0.2
More accurate player size compared to vehicles - 0.0.9
More Minimap Autohide (0.17) - 1.0.0
NiceFill 0.1.14
Nukes Destroy Cliffs - 0.17.1
Omega Drill - 0.1.9
Optera's Library - 0.1.7
Original Music, in HD - Updated 0.17 - 0.17.0
Pavement Drive Assist - 2.1.10
Rampant - 0.17.26
Realistic Ores - 5.17.2
Realistic Reactor Glow - 1.17.3
Robot Attrition - 0.3.7
Shortwave - 0.1.3
Simple Silicon - 1.2.0
Small Robots - just make the two robots a little smaller. - 0.0.4
Space Exploration (Experimental) - 0.1.72
Space Exploration Graphics (Required) - 0.1.40
Space Exploration HR Graphics (Optional) - 0.1.38
Space Exploration Postprocess (Required) - 0.1.38
Squeak Through - 1.3.0
StarCraft siege tank firing sound 1.0.1
Tree Collision 0.5.1
VehicleSnap - 1.17.3
Warehousing Mod - 0.2.3
Waterfill - 0.17.0
Wireless Charging - 0.17.5
Wireless Charging Lib - 0.17.5
You Died - 1.1.0

--Edit--
Added Flare Stacks 2.2.3

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I have confirmed that this is a conflict error with either Alien Biomes or Asphalt Roads. I'm looking into the issue to see if it can be resolved.

4 years ago

From what I can tell, Asphalt Roads and Alien Biomes both have to be enabled for this error to occur. Trying one mod at a time will not cause this error, but the combination does.

This will probably take a while to figure out, since I don't have familiarity with these mods and their codebase, but I'm pretty sure this is not a problem with Helicopters. One of these mods must be messing with the prototypes or raw data.

4 years ago

Ok, I think I figured this out. Alien Biomes pushes the game's limits when it comes to engine tile count. The game only allows for 255 tiles, and Alien Biomes tries to deal with that by deleting tiles. Unfortunately, I believe Helicopter's heli-pad-concrete tile is being removed by Alien Biomes, in an attempt to avoid having the game error out.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

From the begaining I toggled off the option for Alien Biomes to delete "obsolete tiles" to prevent an error I read about with a different mod that failed due to a vanilla tile being missing because of the option being on in Alien Biomes.

Short of that, thanks for the current answer. I really want Asphalt for the aesthetic and car speed, but I can live without it.... I just hate the thought of everything being bricks/concrete, especially hazard for a road for drive assist. If you can find a better solution, PLEASE do. Thank you muchly.

(Edit)
With a test, seems the helipad and map markers work the same, goes too but it doesn't land either way. So I am keeping Asphalt Roads on. So still an issue, but I can work around it. Helipad would be easier than carrying multiple types of bricks and making map markers, but it functions. (It is the only reason I added "First One's Free).

4 years ago

I will have to do some research and development to see if I can change the helipad to an entity, rather than using a tile. I am not the original author, so I'm not sure why the current design was chosen. If you continue to watch this thread, I will keep you posted.

4 years ago

I was wondering why I was being answered by someone else xD Yes, I will follow this thread. Thank you for your continued effort in solving this issue.

I just want to see how things behave once I start "Traveling" to other planets due to the space mod, how the heli mod will react with multiple terrain layers. (and hopefully you too for any future issues that may bring due to coding.) Not sure if you can list only locations that with it can path to on the same layer with mapmarkers or helipad layer separation. Not to give you scope creep, but is a related matter.

4 years ago

I would have to test the idea, but I think different terrain layers are considered surfaces. Each entity knows which surface it belongs to, so it should not be too terrible to group them by surface.

New response