Hall of Fame

The most extensive collection of menu simulations that showcase beautiful and memorable megabases by talented players and speedrunners, including Xterminator, AntiElitz, SteveTrov, and many more! This can also be used as an relaxing screensaver. For more information about the bases see the mod page.

Tweaks
1 year, 2 months ago

b Ultrawide Monitor Support

2 years ago

For folks with Ultrawide 21:9 monitors we can see the outer black void beyond the bounds of the simulation. This is common with many of the menu simulations I've seen and I can imagine the problem is even worse for wider aspect ratios. Consider building these simulations out just a little bit further, or setting the default zoom a little closer.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1701783834917054880/D4925BFB2CA012216A3CF978F878774F73067334/

2 years ago

Hello noderunner. Thanks for the report! :)

In the future I will definitely keep them wider. I can also try to widen a few of them, but that's a little harder and won't happen too soon.

For the moment you can increase the zoom level yourself. There's a startup setting called Zoom Modifier or something. Maybe you can make them fit a little nicer on your wide screen.

If would also help if you send me a list with the worst simulations that I can focus on. I don't have a very big screen so it's check them.

2 years ago

Even if you don't have a wide screen, you can still run your game at a wider aspect ratio for testing. Simply run it in windowed mode and drag the window border to be as wide as you'd like.

2 years ago

Hi Stringweasel,

First, thanks for this. Even though many of these simulations get broken by some of the mods I use (wish there was a way to prevent that aside from disabling mods :( ), I still like to watch them and will even from time to time disable my non-graphical mods so that they'll run properly. :)

Second, I just wanted to give you that list of simulations that seem to show more than they should (or have other issues). :P
https://imgur.com/a/QmMacG3
All images were taken on a 3440x1440 monitor. I've scaled them all down to 50% to reduce file size.
I did have some graphical related mods enabled while taking these screen shots, but nothing that would affect functionality.
Some of the screens I posted there are not for void on the edges. Just see the note under each screenshot for what that one is actually for.

2 years ago

I'm still not sure if I want to expand the surfaces to have more content to support widescreens. It was a lot of work trimming them down, and it will be even more work to add the edges back. It will take days.

What you could do is adjust the zoom modifier to zoom in even more so that the edges aren't visible.

I've also created a modding interface request so that I can do this automatically.
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101054

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I understand, and to be honest, the sides being visible is not a bother (to me personally). I just wanted to let you know which simulations had it.

That said, I don't think I would want to push the zoom in from default. Trying to push it in so the voids move off the sides would result in stuff from the top and bottom being cut out as well. It's also a global zoom, so some simulations need it a lot, some only a little, and others not at all.

So on that note, I'm not sure I'd want you auto controlling the zoom, either, you know?

2 years ago

I understand your strive. But I want to get it closer to what it should be by default, which is impossible for me at the moment. If you open this mod on a 4K screen with the same aspect ration then it looks really ugly. I want to remove that. My goal is not to remove configurability, it will still have the Zoom Modifier to tweak it as you want. It's really hard to keep everyone happy, especially if everyone has a different setup and I have no way to know what kind of setup they have :)

2 years ago

Ah, ok, yeah, in the case of simple resolution difference but same aspect ratio, I agree.

New response