Ghost Scanner

by Optera

Adds a combinator reading ghost requests from the logistic network it's placed in.

Content
1 year, 3 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Circuit network

g Report number of cells!??

3 years ago

This new "feature" has broken my circuits using Ghost Scanner!

I have a setup that relies on Ghost Scanner when it outputs no signals.

With the "report cells" there is ALWAYS a signal there. Yes, I know I could add another combinator to filter out this signal but why should I have to add an extra combinator to what was working just fine before???

What is the use case for reporting the total number of Roboports?

Can you please add an option somewhere to turn off this reporting of cells please?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

What is the use case for reporting the total number of Roboports?

The number of cells is the only way to correlate between ghost scanner and the logistics window.
Checking the cell number against expected number of cells can be used to detect roboports getting destroyed or running out of energy and accidental connecting two networks.

Will I add an option to disable x?
Not for trivial improvements on a single use case.

3 years ago

Still not sure I understand why that would be useful... The idea is to scan for "ghosts"?

From what I can see. seems you added this change from someone with a single use case just three days ago...? It was even suggested by that person to add the option as a setting as to not break existing setups.

I am sure there will be others that this will effect. How hard would it to be to add an option? Please?

3 years ago

I added it for since it made sense for the reasons listed above.
I don't see any value in removing or making the signal optional.

3 years ago

Not suggesting it to be removed. Just an option/setting.

Value in it being a setting/option is that as in my case I am scanning for ghosts at an output site to then send a supply train with said items to fulfil those ghosts. With multiple outposts with the same train station name I simply disable any stations that have no outputs from the Ghost Scanner.

It will also cause issues at the loading base station that requests items from storage to load the train from the output of the Ghost Scanner. It will now be looking for this "Cell" signal that it can't supply as its not an item an instead a separate signal. Its mixing items and a signal that is not an item.

In this use case I have no need to know how many roboports ports are available/connected or if they are even destroyed. Surly a destroyed roboport leaves a ghost in its place thus sending the call back through the Ghost Scanner anyway?

I have no doubt that there are many different ways to use this great mod, many that I am not using or have even thought about but I would dare say the use case for scanning outposts to add the exact amount of items to a supply train would be the most common. This cell signal just gets in the way of that purpose.

I urge you to please reconsider to add an option/setting.

3 years ago

Virtual signals are ignored by filter inserters, loaders and ltn.

3 years ago

Not if they are first feed in to a combinator that is looking at each signal coming in.

3 years ago

Anyway... no idea why you are choosing to be so stubborn over just adding a setting for a new feature that breaks existing set-ups. I am sure I won't be the only one. But guess I will just downgrade to a previous version.

3 years ago

Base updates break setups regularly, why should mods drag unintended legacy features along?

3 years ago

I don't feel that's a fair comparison and its hardly dragging an unintended feature along. Up until there days ago it was as you intended it to be, seems to be a pretty rigid change in mindset.

Setup breaking aside, as I said its an easy workaround, its more that it goes against the core description of the mod.

"a combinator reading ghost requests from the logistic" It's now no longer doing just that, seems like additional bloat. But again, I admit I still can not see the value in the cell counts purpose. Just feels like a bad change to me given the whole purpose of the mods description.

Alas, there is no point to continue to plead my case, your mind is made up with little care as to what I think and rightly so too, it is your mod after all. What would I know just a user of your mods of which I very much enjoy. As I said I will just downgrade to the previous version and maintain my own fork.

Thanks for your time and all your work, appreciate it.

New response