Ghost On Water

This mod adds the ability to place ghosts (blueprints) on water or in space (space exploration). Ghost Landfill/Space Scaffolding is automatically added once a blueprint has been placed on water. Usage: press control + w while holding a blueprint to make it placeable on water, then simply place it on water.

Tweaks
7 months ago
Blueprints

b Selecting trains

1 year, 2 months ago

Hey, love the mod, but it seems like I'm having an issue with trains. whenever I hover over trains, it will actually hover over the rail, which makes selecting trains a real pain. it goes away when I disable this mod. so it either must come from this mod, or from a combination with other mods that I have.

1 year, 2 months ago

No idea what could cause that or what exactly you even mean. Can you maybe provide screenshots and maybe a save file (so I can sync to it and test things)? I don't have an issue like this so it's probably related to the combination of mods you have.

1 year, 2 months ago
(updated 1 year, 2 months ago)
1 year, 2 months ago

I have encountered this bug as well and I'll try to explain. Normally when you mouse over a train, yellow indicators appear to provide visual feedback that you can now click the train. However, with Ghost on Water installed, rather than selecting the train on mouse over, you are selecting the trackUNDERNEETH the train. This has a smaller red box around it but when you click nothing happens (as you aren't on the train).

It seems to be some interaction where the background tile (the track) is being selected on mouse over rather than the train. I have confirmed that turning off the mod resolves the problem. Hope this explains things better

1 year, 2 months ago

I can explain this :)

The thing that decides which entity is selected when they overlap is the entity's selection_priority (https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Entity#selection_priority). Unfortunately in vanilla, trains and rails both have it set to 50, so a tiebreaker is used. The tiebreaker is based on the collision mask of the entities, and happens to work correctly in vanilla, but when mods start changing collision masks, it can cause the tie to be broken 'the wrong way'. That is what is happening here. To fix it, you need to set the selection_priority of all trains to 51 (as I have done here: https://github.com/tburrows13/SpidertronWeaponSwitcher/blob/master/data-final-fixes.lua#L27-L44).

Since I've implemented the fix in Spidertron Weapon Switcher, if you install that mod it will fix your problem immediately :) no need to wait for an update to Ghost On Water!

1 year, 2 months ago
(updated 1 year, 2 months ago)

I can explain this :)

The thing that decides which entity is selected when they overlap is the entity's selection_priority (https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Entity#selection_priority). Unfortunately in vanilla, trains and rails both have it set to 50, so a tiebreaker is used. The tiebreaker is based on the collision mask of the entities, and happens to work correctly in vanilla, but when mods start changing collision masks, it can cause the tie to be broken 'the wrong way'. That is what is happening here. To fix it, you need to set the selection_priority of all trains to 51 (as I have done here: https://github.com/tburrows13/SpidertronWeaponSwitcher/blob/master/data-final-fixes.lua#L27-L44).

Since I've implemented the fix in Spidertron Weapon Switcher, if you install that mod it will fix your problem immediately :) no need to wait for an update to Ghost On Water!

Thanks for the explanation saves me the effort of debuging things and digging trough documentation to find that selection_priority is a thing, I guess I'll either do what you did and change selection priority of trains or do the opposite and decrease selection priority for rails, I'll probably also increase/decrease it by 10 or 5 to leave a gap just in case something else needs to be in between there assuming that won't break stuff. Or maybe I'll just copy and paste your fix depending on how lazy I am.

1 year, 1 month ago

Should be fixed now I applied Xorimuth fix to the problem

New response