Generic Logistic Chest

Allows the player to make a special chest that can be turned into any of the base game logistic chests.

Content
1 year, 6 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Logistic network

i This idea is brilliant

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

And it simplifies Factorio in the correct way. I went to the wiki and looked into resource and research requirements for the Log chest in vanilla. The resource reqs are the same. You should propose this idea to the Devs. I think they would make it the default option. You have NO idea how this would make the game and its mods (with bigger/additional chest types) more rational.

3 years ago

I use Wire Shortcuts and LD Auto Circuit for the same reason.

For me it's simplification without being "too cheaty."

3 years ago

This is not cheaty. This is a completely reasonable request to add to the base vanilla game. All those log chests have the same crafting requirements. You end up with crowded crafting menus when you have many mods with many custom new chest types that also have their own log chest versions. The logical thing would be making a single General Purpose Logistic Chest for vanilla and then when you build them in the world you would pick a color for them, with the option to shift click copy color and filter setting to other General Purpose Log Chests nearby.

3 years ago

I think invisus was agreeing with you that it's not cheaty. Thank you both for th praise, though I'm not going to bother the devs with trying to get it added. If it gets popular enough and they want it then that's up to them.

3 years ago

Aye. They do seem to be content with leaving some of these "rough edges" in the game. I was honestly a bit surprised that they pulled the pickaxe, but I suppose it makes sense as it was about the only item in game with durability. Which did make it seem a little out of place.

But other things like having to juggle an assortment of similar chests or wires, seems to be part of the "puzzle" they want the player to have to contend with. Leaving things like this a part of the game to add inventory pressure make armor (inventory) upgrades more meaningful. So it does seem to lead to some purpose; player choice. Does the player organize their limited inventory, or upgrade armor? Or do they research the utility belt upgrade?

The pickaxe on the other hand, didn't really lead to much of a choice. It was just more of a chore.

New response