Gizmos Car Keys (improved)

by Pi-C

Tired of running to your vehicle? Then let it come to you! This mod is based on "Gizmos Car Keys" by aodgizmo. It works with most modded car and spider-vehicle prototypes -- not just vanilla cars.

Content
2 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

i [Implemented] Car IDs

3 years ago

What the possibility of maybe adding Car IDs someday? I've actually been using it more than I thought I would but now have the problem of I have 2 main cars...one on each side of my base. Be great, if it is possible, to have some sort of ID tag so I can claim more than one car (more than one set of keys maybe?) and be able to call the correct car for whatever side of the base I'm on.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I think that would be hard to implement. Basically, vehicles are tied to a player, not a key. The key is just a tool to make that connection. Having different keys for different vehicles would mean the keys would have to have a stack size of 1, so you'd waste inventory spaces if you'd have several keys.

Also, what would happen if you lost your keys? Perhaps you drop them accidentally, or forget them in a chest, or you die and can't find your corpse in time before it expires. What should happen in that case? You wouldn't be able to craft another key and connect it to your old car again.

Also, while I can see that being able to claim different vehicles would be quite useful in single player mode, I'm afraid this feature could be abused in multiplayer if griefers start running around and start claiming all vehicles.

This is one of the things that look quite easy to implement but really are complicated. Before I'd ever start on implementing anything like that, I'd have to give a lot of thought to it because it would drastically change how the mod works. The next best thing would be a list of all the vehicles connected to a player (either because they are the currently "owned" vehicle or because they've been locked) so that you'd be able to call any vehicle at any time. It's not really plausible because a locked vehicle is not operable, not minable, and can't be opened -- so it would be hard to explain how it would come to you. Also, what would happen to the vehicle you currently own if you call one of your locked ones? If you forget to lock it, anybody could take it.

Several players already mentioned that they find the way GCKI works too cheaty (you'll find some of these voices over at the Autodrive discussion board). Naturally, I'm quite biased, so I don't share that sentiment -- but that would be different if you could control different vehicles at the same time. Making that optional, and only for single player games, may be different -- but again, there's a lot of cases to consider. I'm glad it's working now -- and I'm quite afraid of having to add even more code to the mod's logic.

3 years ago

That all sounds reasonable for why not to. I'm coming at it from a single player perspective and wasn't thinking about the multiplayer aspects you mentioned. For that matter I hadn't considered some of the "single player" reasons either. Forgetting keys in a chest is something I might actually do...that's how I ended up with 2 autodrive remotes actually. As far as the key stack size, I would actually accept that and it could also be a way of deterring abuse...if you ever went there, which it doesn't really sound feasible to do. Thanks for the reply!

3 years ago

Just thought of another reason: With minime, you now can change your character on the fly. While that was intended as only a change of appearance originally, some mods provide characters that look like the normal one but have bigger or smaller inventories. So if your keys are in one of the last slots of a huge-inventory character and you switch to a small-inventory character, your keys would disappear until you changed back (the mod doesn't spill excess items on the ground, but copies the inventory to a hidden backup character).

Perhaps something like this could work, however: If both Autodrive and GCKI are active, locked vehicles can be on the Autodrive GUI, but won't be operable. If you have both the Autodrive remote control and the keys in your inventory, you could use the GUI to remotely unlock one of the vehicles you've previously locked, thereby locking your current vehicle and claiming the unlocked one instead. That's definitely cheaty, but you could always choose not to use that feature. :-)

That would involve more mod interaction, though. I think it may be necessary to inform Vehicle Wagon if the status of any loaded vehicles changes. Right now, once a vehicle has been loaded, it's completely gone from the game because we never considered the possibility that you may be able to manipulate a vehicle which you can't use the keys on. I'll mark this as TODO for now, but it's not a promise that it will ever get implemented, and even if I should decide to do it, it certainly won't be in the near future.

1 year, 9 months ago

Added for version 1.1.2 (will be released as soon as VehicleWagons is updated with some minor patches I've provided): Vehicles can be assigned a unique custom name that will persist even if the vehicle is exchanged by other mods like AAI Programmable Vehicles. You can use a GUI to lock the vehicle you've claimed, give up your claim on the vehicle you own, unlock vehicles you've claimed or locked, or claim a vehicle you've locked. There are commands to lock/unlock/claim/unclaim all or specific vehicles, and the custom name can be used with these commands, so it actually has some practical value. :-)

New response