Gizmos Car Keys (improved)

by Pi-C

Tired of running to your vehicle? Then let it come to you! This mod is based on "Gizmos Car Keys" by aodgizmo. It works with most modded car and spider-vehicle prototypes -- not just vanilla cars.

Content
a month ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

b [Fixed] Keys are blueprintable

4 years ago

Thank you for your work. I really love the original mod, but couldn't use it due to bugs. I hope you will succeed.
Here's a glitch: when I shift+click with keys in hand, the keys are placed as a blueprint, and then delivered from my inventory to the blueprint with a drone.
It looks fun, but it's still a glitch =)

4 years ago

Thank you for the feedback! I'll see what I can do about the blueprinting, it may take some time until I can figure it out. :-)

4 years ago

Also, I believe the keys should be in the Weapons item group (like other remote controls), not Logistics

4 years ago

I'm not sure about the weapons group. Transport seems more appropriate to me. Autodrive also provides remote controls that are placed there, so there's precedent.

4 years ago

The real precedent is the base game design -- with Static defense remote and Artillery remote (I'm not sure what their correct English names are, as I am playing with another locale)
I have just asked Autodrive's author to move the remote controls to the proper group too =) But it's up to you, of course.
But I wholeheartedly agree, that if Transport group exists, the discussed items should go there.

4 years ago

Well, I see why Discharge defense (is that what you meant?) and Artillery remote control would be in the weapons group -- they clearly serve as weapons and are only used for combat purposes. The vehicle keys (and also Autodrive's controllers) can be used for civilian as well as military vehicles; you can't use the keys to shoot at your enemies, but to summon your car. Also, vanilla has a "transport" subgroup where everything from vehicles to rail signals is placed.

But I wholeheartedly agree, that if Transport group exists, the discussed items should go there.

I could make sure it does exist by making SchallTransportGroup a dependency of this mod. Now I'm not sure anymore whether I should really make it a required dependency or whether an optional dependency might be better.

4 years ago

Fixed that keys were blueprintable (and also that they could be copied/pasted). I'll upload the next version when I'm also done with the sorting thingie. :-)

4 years ago

Kewl, that was fast =)

4 years ago

Turned out I only needed to add one little flag. Finding that info (and the flag) was the hardest part. Anyway, the update is out now. Have fun with it! :-)

4 years ago

I've just seen that you've localized this mod. Спаси́бо! :-)

Mod owners and contributors are welcome to integrate the missing localizations into the proper mods.

Would you prefer me to add your localization here, or should I rather add an optional dependency on your mod?

Something else: You've broken the changelog with your latest update. There are tab characters instead of simple spaces on lines 5-8 -- tabs are illegal characters, the in-game changelog parser will stop with an error if it finds one.

4 years ago

Well, how can you be so fast, man?!
I would prefer you include the locales into your mod, since I don't plan to maintain the translations for long.
As for the broken changelog, yes, I've found it out already. I am too lazy to script it, so I am crafting the changelog manually. I shall upload the fix tomorrow. Thank you very much for the guide, BTW.

4 years ago

Well, how can you be so fast, man?!

:)

I would prefer you include the locales into your mod, since I don't plan to maintain the translations for long.

OK, I'll add it in a while. Would you mind if I contact you again if there should ever be changes/additions to the strings? I've nothing planned yet, but one can never know, new ideas pop up occasionally …

As for the broken changelog, yes, I've found it out already. I am too lazy to script it, so I am crafting the changelog manually.

Good editors/IDEs should have an option to convert tabs to spaces and remove spaces at the end of the line on saving. That helps a lot!

I shall upload the fix tomorrow. Thank you very much for the guide, BTW.

Don't worry, no hurry! And you're welcome! :-)

4 years ago

Of course I don't mind contacting me. But if I still be translating by that time, there will be no need. I'm using a script that parses mods installed at my PC, and extracts non-cyrillic locales. So I'll detect any changes more or less automatically.

4 years ago

Good to know! :-)

I've just uploaded the new version, by the way.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi, do you have an account on the forum? I've prepared a new version of this mod, and I'd like to send you some strings before uploading. (Actually, this is only a temporary update. It fixes a bug and adds new features, but I already know that some more things don't work as expected yet -- it just would take some time before I can fix these because I'll have less time next week and won't be able to work on the mod that much. If it would be easier for you, we could also skip the translation for 0.17.4 and see whether more strings will be changed/added in 0.17.5.)

4 years ago

Uh, sorry, I've accidentally unsubscribed from the thread.
I do have the account (that Dragonling guy there is also me), but there is no need to send anything. I've translated the new strings already and will update the translation mod within few hours.

4 years ago

Uploaded

New response