|Created:||2 years ago|
|Latest Version:||0.4.2 (1 year, 2 months ago)|
|Factorio version:||0.15 - 0.16|
Fission and Fusion
Adds portable fission generators, radioisotope thermoelectric generators, and factory-level fusion power as well as making portable fusion reactors much more difficult to research. Each branch of this mod can be toggled on and off individually in the mod startup options.
Please submit feedback and bug reports to the forum thread or as a GitHub issue. Thanks.
Portable Fission Power
Portable Nuclear Reactors: Two-thirds the size and power output of portable fusion reactors, these run off of portable fuel cells created in much the same way as the full size fuel cells used in nuclear reactors.
Portable Uranium Fuel Cells: Much smaller and less efficient than full size nuclear fuel cells, but they also require fewer overall resources to create.
Radioisotopes: These non-fissionable byproducts have a chance to be returned when reprocessing any kind of nuclear fuel cells. While they aren't useful for making new fuel cells, the heat of their decay can be harnessed by RTGs.
Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators: Maintenance-free energy sources for equipment powered by the heat of decaying radioisotopes. Not as efficient as reactors, but a step up from solar panels. The standard version has low power output but will last for decades; the fast version provides much more power initially but expends most of its energy within weeks.
Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator Arrays: An array of standard RTGs designed to provide factory-level power.
Heavy Water: Water rich in deuterium, a heavier isotope of hydrogen, it can be separated out of large amounts of normal water via distillation or hydrogen sulfide exchange in a chemical plant.
Deuterium Gas: Gaseous deuterium, derived from heavy water via electrolysis in a chemical plant. It is used as fusion fuel -- directly by fusion generators, indirectly by IFE reactors, and in compressed form by portable fusion reactors.
Deuterium Pellets: Pellets of cryogenic deuterium created in a chemical plant, used as fuel by IFE reactors.
Inertial Fusion Energy Reactors: The first available fusion power option, these reactors fuse deuterium pellets to generate heat which is then used by heat exchangers and turbines in the same way as nuclear reactors. Temperature and remaining fuel data are available to the circuit network via a panel on the front of the reactor.
Magnetic Conversion Fusion Generators: These more advanced facilities fuse deuterium gas directly, and produce electricity using direct energy conversion. They are not as powerful individually as IFE reactors, but they are somewhat smaller, more efficient, and require no other power generation infrastructure.
Portable Fusion Reactors: The pinnacle of fusion technology so far, these reactor-generator units are small enough to fit in powered armor and run very efficiently on compressed deuterium gas.
- 0.4.2 - Merged a pull request from the helpful vctgross which patched some files for 0.16.
- 0.4.1 - Shifted fast RTG recycling to chemplants to fix a handcrafting bug; added a setting to shift it to centrifuges instead.
- 0.4.0 - Added pressure cylinders; converted portable fusion reactors to run on compressed deuterium.
- 0.3.0 - Reduced standard RTG size by half and scaled output down by 20%; reduced RTG Array ingredients and output; added a new Fast RTG that loses capacity over time.
- 0.2.0 - Increased default fusion reactor output by 50%; created a startup setting for reactor output; rebalanced fusion fuel recipes; removed workaround for generator heat capacity bug.
- 0.1.0 - Initial release
Current Integrations with Other Mods
Nuclear Fuel by GotLag
- Add radioisotope chance to plutonium fuel reprocessing
- Add plutonium chance to portable uranium cell reprocessing
- Add portable plutonium cells and reprocessing for them
- Add portable MOX cell recipe
Angel's Petro Chemical Processing by Arch666Angel
- Change heavy water hydrogen sulfide exchange recipe to use Angel's hydrogen sulfide
- Change deuterium electrolysis recipe to use Angel's electrolysers and create oxygen as a byproduct
I've started a request thread in the Factorio Texture Packs forum should anyone with artistic skill feel inspired.
I do not play with Bob's mods myself, so I'd need input and recipe ideas from people who do.
- Fusion reactor interface logic: adapted from GotLag's Reactor Interface mod.
- Fusion generator self-heating logic: adapted from the diesel generator in Klonan's KS Power mod.
- advanced_fusion: cropped by Undarl under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license. The original work is by Culham Centre for Fusion Energy, CC BY-SA 3.0.
- fast-rtg, rtg, rtg-tech: modified by Undarl. The original work is a public domain image from NASA.
- fission-reactor-equipment: modified by Undarl. The original work is a public domain image from the NRC, and has had a public domain radiation trefoil image added to it.
- fusion-generator, fusion-reactor, fusion-reactor-lights, and rtg-array: modified from artwork released for Factorio mod use by Arch666Angel on a Factorio forum thread of discarded artwork.
- fusion_power: cropped by Undarl under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license. The original work is by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0.
- fusion-reactor-interface: modified by Undarl under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license. The original work is by Joe Mabel, own work, CC BY-SA 3.0.
- reactor-interface-led: borrowed from the Reactor Interface mod by GotLag.
- The portable fuel cell icons, their depleted variants, the deuterium pellets icon, and the temperature icon were assembled by Undarl from public domain images.
- The gas-deuterium, liquid-heavy-water, pressure-cylinder, and reprocess-portable-uranium-cell icons were created from Factorio game assets modified and combined with public domain images.
- The radioisotopes icon is a color-shifted variant of the Factorio U-235 game asset.
- The reprocess-portable-breeder-cell icon was assembled by Undarl from public domain images and the plutonium icon graphic from GotLag's Nuclear Fuel mod.