FactorioChem

FactorioChem Proof-of-Concept puzzle mod - SpaceChem in Factorio. SpaceChem by Zachtronics Industries. Design and shape molecules in 2D space within the confines of a single item slot.

Overhaul
5 months ago
Logistics Manufacturing

g Overhaul the GUI?

a month ago

When I saw this mod, I thought it was a really interesting concept, but the GUI for some of the machines is really putting me off. I'm having to guess how to build molecules in the molecule bonder and every time nothing happens. Would it be possible to overhaul the GUI of all the machines so that instead of what we have now, we use the molecule builder tool to set exactly what we want in the machine, feed in the right ingredients and get what we want out of the machine, e.g. for a water molecule that's horizontal (H-O-H), you'd put in that configuration into the molecule builder, feed in two H and one O, then it comes out the way you want it?

a month ago

The main design goal of FactorioChem is to change how the player goes about obtaining items from assembling machines, so that instead of inputting X ingredients and getting a result item, they have to design each 2D interaction that changes one molecule into another. Each machine intentionally does one step at a time. There isn't really any way to replicate the 2D interactions of SpaceChem, the best I've come up with is to just specify the different positions of atoms within each molecule that should interact.

Ideally, the complexity comes in the form of deciding which interactions to perform, but I do acknowledge that just figuring out how to make a machine work in the first place is difficult. The Tips-And-Tricks entries and Examples in the buildings are there to help, but please let me know if there's anything that could be added to them, I've added as much as I could think of but I'm sure there are more things that would be helpful to add.

New response