Explosive Biters

This mod adds a nest of explosive aliens and worms! These aliens will explode on death (area damage) and spread fire. Fire spitters are also deadly burning everything! And if you see their Mother, run, run for you life! Say goodbye to your walls! Good luck! Note:Autoplace configured for hot areas found in alien-biomes mod.

Content
11 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Enemies

g Tips on dealing with Explosive Biters!

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Here's my situation: I've started in on my first attempt at the Space Exploration mod with Alien Biomes and, oh, what's this? The Explosive Biters mod? Why, yes, I'd love to have that little complication if I go to volcanic moons or the like, I'd thought! Only to start in on Nauvis and discover that my starting location is next to just the right biome to start sending them at my base just as I was establishing a final defensive perimeter. Ouch.

So I ask-- take a barebones Space Exploration / Alien Biomes setup with the only possibly combat-affecting mods being Shield Projector, Combat Mechanics Overhaul, and AAI Industry-- mods that don't seem to affect combat much or give you many more tools to play with, especially early-to-mid-game. Is there any way for a pre-rocket-launch base to really survive being next to Explosive Biters, any effective defensive options at all? If you can afford multiple spaced-out layers of wall that aren't right next to your turrets, plus construction bots to repair and replace them, that seems a decent tactic against the basic exploders but I'm sure it'll have diminishing returns. TL;DR:

1) What tactics work against these buggers? Can you survive near them early/mid game? Or should I throw my save file in the trash / push Bikini Bottom somewhere else?
2) Do you need (or recommend) combat expansion mods that add more weapons and turrets if you're going to use this mod, such as Sniper Turrets or the like (fireproofing? freezing ammo?), or is it possible to fend them off without such luxuries?
3) To all you others in different modpack situations, how have you contended with these volatile fellows? Feel free to share your tips and tricks!

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Necro reply, but Pi-C's [Water Turret] mod has been working out great for me. It's a flamethrower turret that takes in water instead of oil, is available extremely early, slows enemies and puts out fires. Don't leave home without it.

Edit: and then I discovered Water Turret overrides the targeting behavior for AI-controlled vehicles and artillery. Maaaybe not a good idea to use that mod.

New response