Dispatcher: dispatch trains to chosen stations with signals

Adds a new train station (Dispatcher) that dispatches waiting trains to a station when a dispatch virtual signal is received (target station ID is provided via the signal).

Content
1 year, 11 months ago
0.16 - 1.1
Trains Circuit network

i Station queue number

5 years ago

Would be nice to have an option, so you can use the number of the station sequence, instead of the station name + number. A option in the config so who like the current name + number will be happy.

The suggestion:
Take for example the train schedule:
- Some Ore XXXX
- Some Ore XXXX Process
- Some Ore XXXX Smelting
- Some XXXX Plating

So when you have the config option to the station queue, if you send Signal 2 the train will go to the "Some Ore XXXX Process", if you send 4 it will go to the "Some XXXX Plating". Silly names, but you get the idea. it will allow more complex design without the name + number restriction.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Thanks for your message! I have though about it and I believe it could be a good idea, because it seems indeed to allow more complex designs.

However, I have difficulties to see what it would really bring in real life. For instance, if you have 10 Iron mining stations, you would have to add all the 10 stations to your train schedules, which seems a bit tedious... And these stations are probably numbered anyway, so it feels like it fits better with the current scheme.

So maybe I am not seeing correctly how you are thinking of using it? Could you give a more precise example? Because I feel like the train schedule you are taking as example is not realistic, you would have 10 "Some Ore XXXX", 10 "Some Ore XXXX Process", etc.

Also, if I implement it, it could be as another signal and not a mod option. It would allow to use both modes in the same map.

5 years ago

Use both at same time would be nice, less options more possibilities.
Indeed add all stations one by isn't "nice".

The idea was to be able to add other kind of stations, like fuel station, some not very used stations, so you use it only when you need.

For instance for the low fuel, or for low barrel count in the wagon or network system, so you tell the train go grab more barrel, but usually it should be going for Water loader to water unloader, or oil outpost.

Allowing the signal to set X position in the station queue, you allow some kind of "logistic" train network. That isn't insane like other mods, and still very powerful.

New response