Disco Science

Makes science labs light up with the colours of the science packs they are consuming.

Tweaks
16 days ago
0.17 - 1.1

b [Fixed] Whistle Stop crash

5 years ago

Strange crash with Whistle Stop. Also reported to them.

https://i.imgur.com/KU5Q3HZ.png

5 years ago

Looks like this was an issue in the Whistle Stop mod. I'm fixing it on my end and will have this fixed in the next update.

5 years ago

Cheers, thanks very much!

5 years ago

I just found the same issue with Vehicle Wagon and asked them to fix it. (Assigning created_entity instead of entity in the script_raised_built event.) It might be smart for Disco Science to check "if entity and entity.valid" before acting on an event, just so you're not the cause of a crash due to someone else's mistake.

5 years ago

Think they did that as of my other crash report here, robot.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/DiscoScience/discussion/5c9a93e12e429f000c42a35b

5 years ago

No, that is a different bug, where a mod was not triggering script_raised_built This one is when the other mod does trigger a script_raised_built event, but with a malformed/nil payload entity. It's definitely not fixed in 0.0.5. It seems like a stupid thing to have to catch, but the API doesn't stop mods from raising events with missing parameters.

5 years ago

Hey, thanks for the report. I guess the question is whether there is a standard, more graceful way to report the problem to the user than a fatal error. It’s relatively easy for me to check for nil or ignore mismatched events, but the result will still be untracked labs.

Maybe if I throw up a warning dialog the first time it happens? This way users such as yourselves will be able to report the issue, but people can keep playing with a couple relatively harmless missing lab animations.

By the way, any missing animations should be fixed by saving and reloading a game, since the first thing DiscoScience does when it runs is an expensive, one-time search for all existing labs.

5 years ago

Ok, 0.0.6 now shows a warning once per session if it can't get the entity from script event, or if it gets a mismatched lab deletion event.

5 years ago

That's a much better solution. Most of these errors are not from labs at all, and I'd hate to have to uninstall Disco while waiting for another mod to fix a bug (that clearly didn't bother them any other way yet). Thanks!

5 years ago

Yeah, the issues are unlikely to cause problems for other mods themselves, but fixing them should improve mod compatibility in general. So DiscoScience is just being a Good Samaritan now, instead of a killjoy.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

(Double post)

5 years ago

Loving it DB. <3

5 years ago

Yeah, I also decided to start triggering script_raised_built with {entity=entity, created_entity=entity} which seems like a good safety measure, which lets my mod work with ones that need either entity or created_entity.

5 years ago

That is a good defensive approach. It seems like it would be good if Factorio enforced consistency when these APIs are called. I’ll ask about that in the forum.

5 years ago

Avongard, It's an annoying CYA workaround, because those mods reading the wrong parameter will still miss events triggered by the create_entity function itself when if it works with yours. I appreciate Disco's approach because otherwise it would have me much longer to debug my own mods.

5 years ago

That's a good point. Issuing the event with redundant fields means it's harder for mod owners to realise they've made a mistake in the first place. In the worst case, it could also perpetuate an alternative standard and lead to a situation where everyone has to program defensively in order to ensure compatibility.

I really think that this should be solved on the engine side, though: the API is quite clear about which fields to expect in an event. It should be an error to deviate from the API.

New response