UPDATED TO 0.17: Since 0.17 has added the anti-fluid mixing logic, the number of tanks on the locomotive have been reduced to 1 and number of allowed connection points for the pumps have been reduced (see 3rd image above) to reduce the number of entities this mod adds. If anyone finds this too limiting, please comment on the forums. A few mod settings have been added as well along with other tweaks. Crude oil has been removed as an allowed fluid and some logic has been added to dynamically identify diesel fuel added by mods and allow it (configurable in settings). By default, the base game's locomotive will be given the old graphics and the new locomotive added by this mod will use the newer graphics. If you don't like this, there's an option in the mod settings you can uncheck.
UPDATED TO 0.16, now use a new fuel tank mechanism, makes it a lot more stable and easier to uninstall. No longer use the fancy pump-wagon connection animation though. Also uses old Factorio locomotive graphic that has been refitted for the current version.
ADDS a diesel locomotive that uses liquid oil as fuel. By default, the locomotive can use heavy oil and light oil although can be configured to use any fluid in config.lua. ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR SAVE FIRST BEFORE INSTALLING. To fill up locomotive, use a pump like how you fill up a fluid wagon.
- Diesel Locomotive only accept liquid oil as fuel, will stall if any other fluids are used.
- You can take out the fake fluids inside Diesel Locomotive burner inventory on god mode, this is some unsolvable issue. It will have some weird effect but nothing game crashing. Just don't mess with those fake items.
- Graphics is not super crisp like some other mods since I only resize the old locomotive graphic. It is still, in my opinion, a lot better than if you just plug the old graphic into the new Factorio versions unedited.
- It requires you to research diesel locomotive technology first which have oil processing and advanced railway as prerequisites.
- This mod hasn't been fully tested for bugs and instabilities, but I'm pretty sure nothing game-crashing or save-corrupting using this new mechanism.