Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

g Vehicle name

Pi-C ☆
4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi, I just looked up the German translation of "crawler", and it really seems to be the name of vehicles that drive on "crawler tracks" (think of tanks, or see here and here).

Your vehicle doesn't have crawler tracks, so the name doesn't fit. I wouldn't expect you to redo the graphics, but would you consider using another name? You could even rename the mod if you just changed "title" in info.json -- if you leave "name:" as it is, the mod could still be found by anyone who already has it installed. Just a suggestion, do whatever you like. :-)

By the way, I really like that you reduced max_health! With all the resistances, it took 5 explosive rockets to destroy it.

Pi-C ☆
4 years ago

Schon, nur die Wörterbücher sagen etwas anderes:

• LEO
  • Merrian-Webster: "a vehicle (such as a crane) that travels on endless chain belts"
  • dictionary.com: "Also called crawler tractor. any of various large, heavy vehicles or machines that are propelled on endless belts or tracks, especially as used in construction."
  • Cambridge Dictionary: "a vehicle, for example a crane or tractor, that moves on a track (= a belt of flat plates around a set of wheels) or tracks"
  • Lexico ("powered by Oxford dictionary"): "A tractor or other vehicle moving on an endless caterpillar track. ‘the crawlers move space shuttles to the launch pads’ as modifier ‘a crawler excavator’"

Vielleicht ein Unterschied zwischen Modellnamen und generischen Bezeichnungen?

4 years ago

Es kommt ursprünglich von dieses Thema: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64584
Ich kann die Kette hinzufügen, aber es ist nicht notwendig.

Pi-C ☆
4 years ago

Die Bilder zeigen ja, dass es Crawler ohne Ketten gibt, also wird es auch so gehen. Mach Dir nicht mehr Arbeit als nötig! :-)

Pi-C ☆
4 years ago

Perhaps you can add this as German localization?

[entity-name]
crawler=Crawler

[technology-name]
crawler=Crawler

[technology-description]
crawler=Wuchtiges, aber unbewaffnetes Expeditionsfahrzeug

"Crawler" isn't a German word, but I really can't think of a fitting one-word translation. What I care about most is not getting to see the unlocalized (lowercase) name in German output while testing my own mod. :-)

BTW: I changed the technology description in my translation a bit. It roughly means "Powerful, but unarmed expedition vehicle" -- that's close enough, I guess. (I accidentally didn't pause the game before going out; when I returned some hours later several small biters were gathered around my crawler, taking bites out of it. They must have been at it for a while, still a single repair pack was enough to heal the damage, and I didn't even use it up completely!)

4 years ago

Added German locale, not tested :)

The Crawler is pretty strong for small damage like trees, rocks or small biters, I'm ok with it. It looks a little bit too cheatty,
but it's 20000 of mass (the vanilla tank has the same value), but without any weapon.

Resistances are not too high:

data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[1].type = "fire"
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[1].decrease = 30
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[1].percent = 90
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[2].type = "physical"
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[2].decrease = 80
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[2].percent = 20
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[3].type = "impact"
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[3].decrease = 50
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[3].percent = 90
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[4].type = "explosion"
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[4].decrease = 15
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[4].percent = 15
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[5].type = "acid"
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[5].decrease = 60
data.raw.car.crawler.resistances[5].percent = 50

Vanilla tank:

data.raw.car.tank.resistances[1].type = "fire"
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[1].decrease = 15
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[1].percent = 60
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[2].type = "physical"
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[2].decrease = 15
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[2].percent = 60
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[3].type = "impact"
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[3].decrease = 50
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[3].percent = 80
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[4].type = "explosion"
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[4].decrease = 15
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[4].percent = 70
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[5].type = "acid"
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[5].decrease = 0
data.raw.car.tank.resistances[5].percent = 70

Pi-C ☆
4 years ago

Thank you, looks much better now! :-)

Resistances are not too high:

They're not too high, yet the crawler can take much more damage than a normal car and run over spawners or worms like they were nothing. (Or is that the cheat mode from Creative Mod? Haven't had the time to play for real lately.) Anyway, that's compensated by the crawler having no weapons, and I didn't complain. :-)

Pi-C ☆
4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I made this function for localizing names:

common.loc_name = function (entity)
    if entity.localised_name then
        return entity.localised_name
    else
        return entity.name or "unknown entity"
    end
end

Sometimes, I've got "unknown entity" instead of "Crawler". I didn't see that anymore after adding

[item-name]
crawler = Crawler

Perhaps you could add this to both localizations?

4 years ago

Note that spaces by the "=" must be deleted.

But +1 for locale for all items, it will be good if the vanilla has also locale for all items.

4 years ago

Kannst du bitte das selbst tun? Ich kann erst am Wochenende.

Pi-C ☆
4 years ago

Note that spaces by the "=" must be deleted.

Stimmt -- das hatte ich vorhin auch nur manuell eingegeben, nicht kopiert. :-)

Kannst du bitte das selbst tun? Ich kann erst am Wochenende.

Lokal habe ich die Änderungen natürlich längst selbst eingefügt! Das hilft aber den anderen Nutzern nicht weiter. Da sich aber niemand sonst beschwert hat, wird die Änderung aber nicht so dringlich sein, dass sie nicht noch bis zum Wochenende warten kann. :-)

New response