Construction Drones deprecated

by Klonan

Adds ground based personal construction robots.

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.0
Logistic network

g Future direction of mod - possibly base game integration

5 years ago

This is a fun little proof of concept mod and I like it as an early game solution to blueprinting. There are definitely bugs with pathfinding and construction orders to work out, as I find I quite often have to intervene in complex blueprints.

For eg: chemical plant lines with a lot of pipes can often result in looping bots failing to place inserters or belts, meaning I have to either mine the bot or hunt manually for the ghost so that I can break the bot's loop.

The bots also don't prioritise deconstruction orders over construction orders, so if you use ctrl-x to "cut" a line and move it a couple of tiles over, there can be bots waiting to place an item when something hasn't yet been moved out of the way. Similarly if you use shift to auto-deconstruct trees, sometimes the bots will want to wait around indefinitely because they all have construction orders and none of them are taking on the job of cutting down trees.

While I appreciate that this is a side project and not yet slated for the base game, if it did go that way there are a few changes that I think would make it pretty cool.

Change the bots to be more like "compilatron". Make them indestructible - bounce them out of the way of trains rather than blowing them up. But also make them expensive and have a limit on how many you can have (if they're indestructable you can make the player start off with one Compilatron buddy and require engines and red or even blue chips to build a new one). Rather than swarms of bots make it so that you have one or two following you around or tasked to manage outposts. Give them names and colours too! Your flying robots are your swarms of mindless drones, these little dudes should have a bit more personality.

Add the ability to actually assign a robot to a logistics hub or keep it attached to you manually.

Give them a smallish inventory and let them stock up from chests with their own logistic requests, or let the player dump things into them. Make them stack-size 1, like vehicles, and maybe even give them a little equipment grid.

Generally this is a design shift from "ground based early game construction robots" to "personal robot assistants" who do some of the same jobs as the flying ones, but really operate almost like other players with a reduced feature set.

5 years ago

^^ This.
Maybe someone make a mod that does this?

New response