Bottleneck Lite

A tool for locating bottlenecks in your factory, with zero runtime overhead and instant response to changes in status.

Utilities
8 months ago

g Interesting

2 years ago

I ended up making a very similar mod, although since I don't have any icons to use, I ended up reusing the vanilla mining drill lamp icon. The problem is that it's sometimes hard to see... Do you have any tips on that? I considered using the train station white/black icon, but I don't know how light types interact with that.

Also, I looked at the code, and I think there's a trick with string.find () you would find useful... There's an optional 4th parameter, which if set to true, ignores special characters, and looks at the string raw. Useful to match names with dashes in them.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Oh wow, I didn't realize you had already made something like this. It looks cool! Even though Bottleneck is kind of ugly, I like that it's consistent, which is probably why it's so popular.

As for string.find, I actually need to keep it the way it is, since I'm capturing the key from the setting name. You can't do that if you disable pattern matching. Thanks for the suggestion though!

2 years ago

I still didn't add a mod setting to control colors to my mod... When it comes to putting work beyond the minimum that's needed for it to work, I really need to improve my work ethics.
Also, you might want to add an exception list, condenser turbines and core miners don't really work well with this kind of thing.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Modders can exclude their prototypes by adding bottleneck_ignore = true, but adding my own exception list is a good idea.

I did notice the issue with core miners, I'm sure other ones will come up as well.

I also just realized that I didn't document that anywhere, I should do that.

2 years ago

bottleneck_ignore = true

Imho, as long as there's no agreed-on flag that all similar mods use you should consume the flag to prevent it from showing up as garbage in --check-unused-prototype-data.

2 years ago

Good idea, I'll do that for the next version.