Better Bots Technologies

Adds more technologies for roboports and robots, including additional roboports charge pads and expanded bot power cells. Instead of giving them out for free like many other mods, this one strives to blend into the existing game balance.

Content
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.18
Logistic network

i Recharging Technology

4 years ago

Hello!
I'd like to greet you for this cool mod, I like what it does to logistics.
I have a suggestion for you tho, is there a way to increase the recharge rate of roboports by unlimited research? Right now the max rate is 8x1.8MW where 8 being the number of recharging pads and 1.8MW the flow rate, I'm suggesting to make it increase the flow rate from technology, since the robot battery increases the bot's air time, but at higher values they stand for quite a while on the roboport charging batteries since they have a huge buffer to fill, to counter that, if you allow this recharge rate tech, we would have the liberty of speeding up the process at the cost of science packs.
What do you think?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi!

That's a good suggestion but unfortunately mods don't have free regimes with those kind of things. Factorio presents a specific set of "modifiers" that can be manipulated by mods, either with new technologies or directly, and new ones can't be made because they are hard coded in the game.

The bot battery bonus modifier unlocked by this mod is actually already defined in the game by the devs (and for some reason they decided to not have a tech for it). All I did was create a suitable technology to unlock this bonus (with custom numerical parameters like research cost, amount of extra power etc.) and made it into an unlimited research.

Any property for which there's no modifier is statically defined at the prototype stage, which means that to be able to have a researchable upgrade, I can't make it into an unlimited research.

I may be able to add this functionality to the mod though, by adding a fifth tier to the Advanced Roboport research with a resonably high cost (maybe requiring space science too to make it an after-rocket only research) that multiplies the flow rate by a high amount (about 5 to 10 times the actual maximum flow rate). I'm hesitant to add more levels to it because each level requires its own prototype and I can't add an arbitrary amount of them (there are issues in other areas of the game like the deconstruction planner for example). I can't make it into its own research either for the same reason (the number of prototypes needed would be equal to the number of levels of this new tech multiplied by 5).

Thanks for the suggestion, it's actually a good one. I'll see what i can come up with in the next days.

Bye!

New response