Better Bots Technologies

Adds more technologies for roboports and robots, including additional roboports charge pads and expanded bot power cells. Instead of giving them out for free like many other mods, this one strives to blend into the existing game balance.

Content
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.18
Logistic network

b Server compatibility

4 years ago

Hello,

Could we see this mod have server compatibility worked on?

It works atm, but as the map gets larger I have found that the mod causes a lot of Lag, I am assuming the Server side is unable to process everything or something along those lines, If you need a server hosted as a test server please let me know.

Regards

Larkum

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi.

How many roboports are on the map when you experience lag? Aside from the one-time process of upgrading roboports which is done after researching each level of the Advanced Roboports technology (and it also processes a limited number of roboports per in-game tick to prevent lag), the only thing that could be causing lag is the radar charting that's done with the Roboport Sensory Array tech researched.

The charting code too is made so that it doesn't chart every port on the map at once to prevent lag, so it shouldn't be causing any (unless we are talking hundreds of thousands of roboports on the map).

As far as I know, as long as the server and all the clients are running the same version, mods should be compatible with multiplayer right away. I never had the chance to test it in a real multiplayer session, but I expect it to work.

If you press F5 in-game, you can see on the bottom part of the screen the update time of each mod installed. There you can check how long does every mod take to update their logic each in-game tick.

While idle (no charting, no undergoing upgrade process) in a very large map with thousands of ports and capable of 1k spm, my mod takes very little update time (about a quarter that of Bottleneck, to name a very commonly used mod). This time increases to about 3x that with charting researched, which is still less than half a millisecond on my machine.

Maybe this has something to do with other mods installed?

4 years ago

umm maybe there is a conflict of Mods, but after I removed Better Bots my issue with lag went away, I will investigate for you to see if I can find any evidence of what is causing the lag, the only thing I can pin point at this time is when I added better bots to a fresh server, it worked great until we were around 100 hours in with a large map with thousands of ports and 10s of thousands bots we got a lot of lag, I removed Better bots as this was the only thing to change between server resets and the server returned to being lag free.

New response