Better Bots Technologies

Adds more technologies for roboports and robots, including additional roboports charge pads and expanded bot power cells. Instead of giving them out for free like many other mods, this one strives to blend into the existing game balance.

Content
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.18
Logistic network

i Whoa! Adds one robot charging port?

4 years ago

I really thought it would add 4 more charging ports per technology. Strongly recommend. One more port is pitiful, especially when there are robocharger mods.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

The mod adds one extra charge pad for each level of the Advanced Roboport tech. At maximum tech level you get 4 extra pads.

This mod wants to blend into existing game balance and to me giving out 16 or more charge pads per roboport would get rid of one of the biggest problem a bot heavy factory has to face, which is having enough roboports to charge all the bots.

This mod eases the transition (having double the pads on max tech level means half the ports needed), but doesn't trivialize the problem solving around it (which, in my eyes, is the fun part of the game).

I thought about adding a very late game technology with high cost that adds even more chargepads, but at that point in the game, technology cost is not really a constraint anymore, it simply becomes a time sink, that's why all late game techs are unlimited scaling, so they may still be relevant instead of being a one time chore.

Unfortunately it's impossible to add an unlimited tech for charge pads due to how the game works (adding charge pads requires a new roboport prototype, and they can't be defined at run-time so I can't have unlimited roboport prototypes to work with). Adding more tech levels has its own set of problems too (the deconstruction planner filters, for example) so I felt this was the best compromise.

Bye.

New response